This Taco Soup recipe is an easy meal made in on the stovetop or your crockpot using pantry staples! Super nutritious also, to get you through cold and flu season!
Enjoy a bowl topped with your favorite taco fixins or with a slice of homemade garlic bread.
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
Normally when I’m under the weather, I go right for my easy chicken noodle soup. But if I lack all energy, this taco soup is a lifesaver. Literally just brown onions and beef, and then dump all the other ingredients in the crock pot. Easy and nutritious, loaded with corn, beans, and broth. Plus, the spices can help clear up your sinuses!
If you don’t have a crockpot, no worries – you can still make this taco soup recipe on the stovetop. It’s seriously the easiest soup ever!
What You’ll Need
With a mix of fresh and canned goods, this recipe incorporates simple pantry items so you can throw it together any time.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Ground beef: we like to use lean ground beef 80/20.
- Onion: For aromatics and flavor.
- Canned corn kernels: Either yellow or white corn, drained.
- Canned black beans: Rinsed and drained. Pinto beans are also great, or use a combination.
- Chicken broth: We use low-sodium to control the saltiness.
- Salsa: Either homemade salsa or store bought (16 ounce jar.) Use mild, medium, or hot depending on your preference.
- Enchilada sauce: Either our homemade enchilada sauce or store bought.
- Seasonings: Kosher salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and taco seasoning
- Olive oil: Used to sauté the beef and onions.
- For serving: tortilla chips, Mexican shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado.
How To Make Taco Soup
This is one of the easiest soups to make. Simply brown the beef and onions in some olive oil, transfer to the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients, cover, and cook on low for 6 hours. To make this taco soup recipe, scroll down to the complete printable recipe card for all the details and don’t miss the video below.
What to Serve with Taco Soup
We like to top hot bowls of this soup with crushed up tortilla chips, Mexican shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and fresh sliced avocado. It’s also great with a side of cilantro lime rice or slice of cheese bread.
How to Store Taco Soup
- Storing leftovers: Cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Can you freeze taco soup? Yep! Transfer cooled soup to an airtight freezer-safe container, removing as mush air as possible, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or stovetop.
More Soup Recipes:
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small sweet onion , diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8.75 ounce can corn kernels , drained
- 15 ounce can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce
- 16 ounce jar mild salsa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- tortilla chips, Mexican shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado , for serving
- In a large nonstick skillet, warm oil over medium-high heat. Cook the beef and onions until the onions are translucent and the beef is browned with no pink remaining, about 3 minutes. Drain off fat and return to heat. Season with the salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Transfer meat to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add in the corn, black beans, taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, salsa, and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, a few avocado cubes, and broken up tortilla chips.NOTE: This has a slight kick to it. If you want less heat, use very mild enchilada sauce or replace it with regular tomato sauce.Don't have a crockpot? No problem. Brown the beef and onions in a large pot instead of skillet, drain off the fat, then add all the other ingredients in. Cover and cook over a gentle simmer for 30-60 minutes until the flavors have blended.
Reader Questions and Reviews
This was so easy and delicious!!
Love this recipe so much it’s on my rotation
Made this for my wife, who isn’t a fan of soup. Well she had it for supper, next day lunch & supper and save a small container for Mondays lunch!!! Thank You