This easy Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Skillet dish is cabbage rolls deconstructed, with all the same great components and flavors, but half the time!
So, you loved the traditional stuffed cabbage rolls recipe I shared, right? But you don’t love the time it takes to make them? I hear ya. My Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Skillet is the solution!
What are Cabbage Rolls?
Cabbage rolls are a classic European dish consisting of tender cooked cabbage leaves wrapped around seasoned ground meat and baked in a tangy tomato sauce. Ground beef is a traditional filling, but some cultures use lamb, while others use turkey. Some use rice, some don’t. I use ground beef and rice in mine.
What are Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls?
It’s hard to beat a classic, but sometimes I just don’t have the time or patience to prepare cabbage rolls, yet I still want all the same components and flavors. Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls are basically all that! This dish takes all the elements of regular cabbage rolls and deconstructs them, then cooks everything up in a skillet. There’s no stuffing, rolling, or baking needed.
The ground beef is browned in a skillet along with seasonings and then simmers in a rich tomato sauce with chopped up cabbage and rice. I add golden raisins to mine, which lends a sweet balance to the tangy sauce. You can simply omit them if raisins aren’t your thing.
How long does it take to make Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls skillet?
One of my favorites parts about this dish is how quick it is. This meal is on your table in 30 minutes!
Because you’ve got your protein and vegetables all mixed in, it eliminates the need for a side dish. It’s quite substantial on its own, but you can certainly serve it with a side salad or crusty bread.
Bonus! This recipe is inexpensive, making it perfect.
Cheap, quick, easy, healthy, and delicious >> pretty much the best kind of weeknight dinner.
If you’re interested in some quick and easy 20 minute dinners, check out our Mexican Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet, Tomato and Tortellini Soup, and Bacon and Peas Pasta. I make all of these on a regular basis!
This recipe is from the Good Fast Eats cookbook (affiliate link.)
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Skillet
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small sweet onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 small head cabbage , core removed, chopped (about 6 cups)
- sour cream or Greek yogurt , for serving
- In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and onion; sauté until onion is soft and no pink remains in the beef, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Drain off fat. Stir in the salt and paprika.
- Add rice, raisins, tomato sauce, broth, and cabbage to the skillet; mix to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook for about 22 minutes until cabbage and rice are tender.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, if desired.
*this post contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you from the link above.