This soup is loaded with cheese-filled tortellini, sweet sausage, spinach, and Italian seasonings. Flavorful, comforting, and ready in 30 minutes!
Happy New Year, friends, and welcome to 2014! Ready to start a whole new delicious ride with me? I hope so!
There’s really only a small respite after the New Year when a food blogger can post something, anything, irrelevant before the next “event.” This break lasts about two minutes. Lol.
Superbowl is right around the corner now, followed by Valentine’s Day, so basically finger food and chocolate. Not that there’s anything wrong with that – two of my favorite things!
But for my two minutes…it’s all about this Sausage and Tortellini Soup.
I made this soup through the entire month of December and have been dying to share it with you.
It’s so simple, and yet is layered with flavor. Perfect for a wintery day. I’m in-love.
I think this is a great indication of what the next 12 months have in store, and I am super excited. Let’s do this!
And if you love this Tortellini soup, check out my other favorite Tomato Tortellini Soup that’s ready in only 15 minutes!
Watch the video for Sausage and Tortellini Soup
Easy Sausage and Tortellini Soup with Spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 sweet medium onion , diced fine
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 3 cups baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil over medium-high in a Dutch oven. Add sausages and cook, rolling occasionally, until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from the pot.
- Add onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and seasonings, and bring to a boil.
- Slice sausage into 1/2-inch thick pieces and add back to the pot. Stir in the tortellini and simmer gently until pasta is tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until just wilted. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.