Super easy Tomato Tortellini Soup that’s ready in only 15 minutes! Such a lifesaver during busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table fast!
And don’t miss our favorite Sausage Tortellini Soup – we love it so much, it gets made all year round!
Easiest Tortellini Soup Recipe Ever
This Tomato Tortellini Soup has been a gift on so many weeknights when I’m beat, but don’t want to order out. Still gotta eat, though!
Here’s why we love this tortellini soup
- Delicious: Cheese-filled pasta combined with sweet cherry tomatoes and sun-dried tomato pesto is so flavorful.
- Cheap: Simple, common, affordable ingredients.
- Quick: We’re talking 5 minutes of prep.
- Easy: This soup is done start to finish in only 15 minutes.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this quick and easy tortellini soup:
(Scroll to the bottom for our easy printable recipe with the complete directions, and don’t miss the video below.)
- Cheese tortellini: I always use the refrigerated kind. Adding frozen tortellini to the soup would bring the temperature way down and require you to cook the soup longer.
- Chicken broth: Low-sodium to keep the salt levels down.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Fresh, sweet cherry tomatoes.
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto: Buy a good quality kind, to get the best flavor.
- Heavy Cream: Adds a nice creamy finishing touch.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes season the soup.
- Parmesan cheese: For serving, optional.
- Parsley: For added flavor and beautiful color.
- Traditional basil pesto can be substituted for the sun-dried tomato, which is also delicious!
- Vegetable broth can be substituted for the chicken broth for a vegetarian soup.
Video: Tomato Tortellini Soup
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover tortellini soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I recommend storing the cooked tortellini and soup separately, since the pasta will continue to absorb the broth and become mushy.
More Easy Soup Recipes:
Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 32 ounce carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 9 ounce package refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , sliced in half
- 1/3 cup good quality sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes , optional
- grated parmesan cheese , for serving
- chopped fresh parsley , for serving
- In a medium pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Add in the tortellini; reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 7 minutes until pasta is almost tender.
- Add in tomatoes and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes until tomatoes have just softened.
- Stir in the pesto and cream.
- Taste and adjust with a little bit of salt and pepper, if necessary. And a pinch of cracked red pepper flakes for a little kick, if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.