Cumin-Lime Chickpea Salad – a ridiculously easy and healthy side salad that requires no cooking, comes together in 15 minutes, and for under $5.00
It’s so hard to believe that once upon a crazy time I didn’t like chickpeas…because now my pantry is stocked with them. I use them in salads and soups. I roast them. I even put them in cookies! So this salad, where the legume is the star of the show, suited me just fine.
I’m always searching for easy side dishes to accompany a meal, or to just have on hand for a late afternoon craving.
Two or three Five bites usually does the trick. Even better when there’s no cooking involved, it comes together in 15 minutes, and for under $5.00 – gotta love all that!
- • 4 cloves garlic, minced
- • 2 medium limes, juiced
- • 3 tablespoons olive oil
- • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 3 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- • 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- • 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic, lime juice, olive oil, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Add the chickpeas, onion and parsley; stir gently to combine. Serve right away or refrigerate for a few hours. The flavors get stronger the longer they have to meld.