The classic Vanilla Malted Milkshake made at home! This iconic soda fountain dessert drink is so easy to make and perfect on a hot summer day!
Did you live near an ice cream parlor growing up? We had one a few miles from my house and we’d go there every once in a while.
It was always such a treat – watching the waitstaff in their fun uniforms, sliding quarters into the jukebox, and of course, getting to choose a drink from the soda fountain or ordering a malted milkshake. Memories!
Soda fountain shops are very 1950’s iconic America and seem to be mostly gone now. Sad! You can sometimes get a great malted milkshake at a diner where they try to preserve that era, but even that’s rare. The classic malted milkshake will never die, though, and luckily they’re super easy to make at home.
What is a Malted Milkshake?
A malted milkshake, sometimes affectionately referred to as just a “malt” is very similar to a thick and creamy vanilla milkshake, but also contains malted milk powder.
What is Malted Milk Powder?
Malted Milk Powder is evaporated powder made from malted barley, wheat flour, and whole milk. Depending on the brand, often times sugar, salt, and food coloring is added. It has a sweet, nutty flavor and takes a standard vanilla milkshake up a few notches!
Where to find Malted Milk Powder
Ovaltine and Carnation are the most common brands found in grocery stores, often located in the baking aisle. (I also use crushed up malted milk balls in my shake, which are in the same aisle as the chocolate and candy bars.)
Ingredients you need for this Malted Milkshake
- Vanilla ice cream
- Low fat milk
- Malted milk powder
- Malted milk balls
- Ice cubes
- Change the consistency of the shake by reducing or increasing the amount of milk.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of homemade chocolate sauce before blending, to make a chocolate version.
- Replace the vanilla ice cream with strawberry ice cream for a fruit-flavored drink.
If you’ve never had a malted milkshake, don’t wait any longer. They’re such a rich, creamy, icey-cold, decadent treat. So great on a hot summer day!
Other Summer Drinks we Love!
- Cherry Ice Cream Float
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Oreo Milkshake
- Mocha Frappuccino (Starbucks Copycat)
- Pineapple Smoothie
Classic Vanilla Malted Milkshake
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 1 cup ice cubes
- crushed malted milk balls , for serving
- Place milk, ice cream, vanilla, malted powder, and ice into a blender (in that order) and process for 1 minute or until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour into tall fountain glasses and sprinkle with the crushed malted milk balls.
- Serve with a straw and enjoy!