Save yourself the time and money from going to the ice cream parlor and make an ice cream float at home! They’re so easy to make, budget friendly, and the best summer dessert drink. This recipe uses fresh fruit cherries!
When was the last time you had an ice cream float? No matter how often I make them, they bring me back to my childhood every time!
When I was a kid, fast food was a special treat. And so was soda, usually only occurring when my grandparents would come for a visit. They would bring cases of it. I remember, waiting until they completely unloaded the car before I excitedly went to check out what flavors there were.
Because we rarely had it in the house, soda (or pop, as my parents called it) was practically a dessert all on its own. But then my Dad would make ice cream floats and the earth sort of stood still. We would watch the foam rise and sizzle, wide eyed-with wonder. Then the scoops of ice cream would bob up to the top! It was awesome.
Ingredients you need for this Ice Cream Float
(Scroll to the bottom for the complete printable recipe)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Heavy Cream
- Frozen cherries
- Cherry Coca-Cola® Soda
- You’ll need a tall glass, a straw or long spoon, and an ice cream scoop.
- Chill the glass in the freezer before filling it, which helps keep all your ingredients cold.
- Put your ice cream into the glass first, then pour the soda over it.
- Slowly pour the soda in the glasses, waiting for it to settle before adding more.
- Enjoy with a big smile on your face!
Ice Cream Float Variations
- The frozen fruit cherries compliment the cherry soda in a fun and tasty way, but you can simply omit them.
- If you want to lower the calorie count, you can use half-n-half instead of the heavy cream, or leave it out.
- Swap out the cherry soda and use root beer instead – a classic!
I can’t turn back time, but with this Cherry Ice Cream Float, I can get pretty close. Or at least relive my childhood through my own kids.
When they were little and I would tell them I’m making ice cream floats, you’d think I said we were going to Disneyland. They’re old enough now to make their own, but still ask first, and when I say yes, they are happy as clams. They sit outside with frosty mugs and straws in 100 degree California heat telling dumb jokes and laughing hysterically. Not a care in the world.
Summer is the best!
Other summer drinks we love!
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Oreo Milkshake
- Vanilla Malted Milkshake
- Mocha Frappuccino (Starbucks Copycat)
- Pineapple Smoothie
Cherry Ice Cream Float
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 6 frozen cherries
- 1 1/2 cups Cherry Coca-Cola® Soda
- Scoop half of the ice cream, whipped cream, and cherries into a large serving glass. Repeat layers.
- Slowly poor the soda into the glass, allowing the foam to rise and settle before adding more.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!