Creamy, decadent, and luscious, this Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate Recipe is one you’ll want to be making all winter long! It’s the perfect big batch hot chocolate to serve up for any party or gathering of friends and family.
We love to serve this hot chocolate alongside a platter of Hot Cocoa Cookies!
The Best Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate Recipe
Perhaps the only thing better than curling up on the couch with a steaming cup of hot chocolate and enjoying a movie with the family, is sharing a big batch of hot chocolate with a group of family and friends.
This crock pot hot chocolate recipe is perfect for that. With just 6 ingredients, it’s rich, creamy, and luxurious. It’s a true treat, like enjoying dessert in a drink.
Homemade hot chocolate makes a great addition to holiday parties and gatherings all winter long. It’s a warming option and one that kids and adults alike will enjoy. Set out a few bowls with toppings to choose from for extra fun, like marshmallows and candy canes. Grab a mug for yourself first, as this tends to disappear quickly!
What You’ll Need
You’ll need just 6 ingredients for this easy crock pot hot chocolate.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Heavy cream – Makes this hot chocolate extra creamy.
- Whole milk – You can also use 2% or skim milk if you want to cut back on calories, but keep in mind the hot chocolate will be thinner.
- Sweetened condensed milk – This makes the drink sweet and so creamy and luscious.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Makes the drink chocolatey. Be sure to choose unsweetened cocoa powder, as this recipe has plenty of added sweetness.
- Semi-sweet baking bar – Finely chop the baking bar so that it melts easier. You can also use chocolate chips.
- Vanilla extract – for flavor.
- Your favorite toppings – see below for ideas!
Ready for more than just your basic hot chocolate? Here are a few suggestions to switch it up.
- Make it boozy. Want to make your homemade hot chocolate just for the adults? Add in some Baileys! You can add Kahlua or other preferred liquor as well, but I think Baileys pairs perfectly with the chocolate.
- Make it minty. For a refreshing peppermint hot chocolate, stir in some peppermint extract. I love to do this and then serve with candy canes for stirring.
- Make Mexican Hot Chocolate. If you want to spice things up, you can turn this into Mexican Hot Chocolate by adding in some ground chili powder or cayenne pepper. Cinnamon also pairs well with the ingredients of Mexican hot chocolate.
- Make it thinner. This recipe makes a very thick and creamy hot chocolate. If you want it thinner, you can use 2 cups of heavy cream instead of 4 and add 2 cups of milk in its place. You can also use 2% or 1% milk to thin it out.
How to Make Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
One reason I love making this big batch hot chocolate is that there’s so little hands-on time. Once the cocoa powder is mixed in, this is a “set it and forget it” recipe.
You can make this homemade hot chocolate up to 6 hours in advance. It will take 3 hours for the ingredients to melt for the perfect creamy hot chocolate and then you can leave it on the “warm” setting for up to 3 hours more. I don’t recommend refrigerating then reheating this, though you can always enjoy an iced hot chocolate the next day!
To make this crock pot hot chocolate recipe, follow the steps below included in the printable recipe card. Make sure to refer back to the article for all the helpful tips, topping ideas, and variations.
Tips for Success
To ensure perfectly smooth, creamy, and luxurious hot chocolate, here are a few tips I’ve found helpful.
- Mix the cocoa with cream first. I highly recommend whisking the cocoa with half of the heavy cream until fully combined, before adding the rest of the heavy cream and other ingredients. Otherwise, it will take a very long time to mix the cocoa powder in as it tends to want to just sit on top.
- Stir every 20 minutes. While the hot chocolate is cooking, be sure to stir every 20 minutes or so to avoid the chocolate burning on the sides.
- Add more milk if needed. This slow cooker hot chocolate tends to thicken as it sits, so feel free to stir in more milk to your desired thickness.
- Use high quality chocolate. Whether you use the baking bar or chocolate chips, I recommend using the highest quality chocolate you can find. You will definitely notice a difference in flavor and how it tastes.
You can add virtually anything you want to your crock pot hot chocolate. If serving this at a party, you can even set out 3 or 4 different toppings so that everyone can choose their favorite. Here are a few ideas:
- Marshmallows (plain or flavored)
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Candy canes – either crushed or the full candy cane for stirring
- Spices like nutmeg and cinnamon
- Caramel Sauce or dulce de leche
More Dessert Drink Recipes:
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups heavy cream , divided
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups whole milk
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces semi-sweet baking bar (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- your favorite toppings
- Add 2 cups of the heavy cream to the slow cooker. Whisk in the cocoa powder until fully combined, this might take a while. (see note below.)
- Add the remaining 2 cups heavy cream, milk, sweetened condensed milk, chopped chocolate, and vanilla, stir to combine.
- Place on low for 3 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so until the chocolate is melted and fully combined.
- Switch to the warm setting for up to 3 hours for serving. If the hot chocolate gets too thick while it sits, you can stir in more milk to your desired thickness.
- Serve with your desired toppings such as marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or crushed candy canes!NOTE: See notes below for optimal results.
Reader Questions and Reviews
I forgot to put in the sweetened condensed milk, but it was still incredible! I will do this again next week when everyone is home for Christmas, but this time with the condensed milk. Just make this recipe – you won’t regret it!
Made this for my grandkids yesterday. They asked if they could move in. LOL. I loved it, too. It’s thick, rich, and wonderful!
Best hot chocolate EVER!
My future Christmas dessert…/cocktail/ surprise!!!!