Satisfy your sweet tooth with a quick and easy dessert drink! The popular Mudslide cocktail can be served on the rocks or blended for a frozen boozy milkshake.
Have you ever enjoyed a Mudslide? Not the kind you play on at the park on a rainy day. We’re talking about the delicious cocktail. Consisting of vodka, cream, and coffee, they are perfectly sweet, rich, and velvety. Dessert-like. No wonder we love them!
What’s a Mudslide Drink?
The Mudslide is a simple creamy cocktail. It’s not fruity or served with an umbrella, so you wouldn’t typically think of sipping it at a beach resort, and yet it originated back in the 1970’s at a bar located on Grand Cayman Island. Story goes that a customer ordered a White Russian (which uses regular cream), but the bartender used Irish cream instead. A pretty delicious twist that gained popularity almost instantly at restaurants and parties throughout the States.
A traditional mudslide cocktail only contains vodka, coffee liqueur (Kahlúa), and Bailey’s Irish cream, with the addition of a chocolate drizzle for the “mud” aspect. As with most classic recipes there are many variations on this one. For this particular recipe we used heavy cream and Irish cream because we like it extra creamy!
You’ll need the following Mudslide Ingredients:
- Heavy cream
- Irish Cream
- Coffee liqueur
- Chocolate syrup (this is considered optional, but not in my opinion.)
- Whipped cream for garnish, optional
- Cocoa powder for garnish, optional
The boozy vodka, Kahlúa, and Baileys are balanced by the rich cream and sweet chocolate. Whipped cream on top gives it a more decadent touch. It’s so delicious.
Mudslide Cocktail Variations
- Make a milkshake: instead of serving the cocktail over ice, make a Frozen Mudslide with ice cream in the blender. SO GOOD.
- Use a flavored vodka: swap out regular vodka for a flavored vodka like chocolate, raspberry, or cake, which adds additional sweetness and flavor.
- Try RumChata: Swap out the Irish cream with RumChata, which includes rum, cream, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar.
- Substitute with Brandy: Replace the vodka with brandy for extra flavor.
How to Make a Mudslide
This drink is done in a few simple steps and 5 minutes. Be warned – they’re addicting! (scroll below for the printable recipe and exact measurements.)
- Pour the heavy cream, Irish cream, coffee liqueur, and vodka in a cocktail mixing glass, stir to combine.
- Pour the chocolate syrup along the inside of an old-fashioned glass. Add ice.
- Pour the cocktail mixture over the ice.
- Garnish with whipped cream and cocoa powder, if desired.
- Use heavy cream: Don’t skimp on the dairy by using 2% or fat free milk. Heavy cream will deliver the best results.
- Avoid ice in a shaker: Pour the mudslide over fresh ice in a glass. If you mix the cocktail in a shaker with ice, your drink will be watered down before you’re finished enjoying it.
- Opt for large ice cubes: The larger the cubes of ice, the slower they will melt, which means the overall drink won’t be diluted.
- Chill the vodka: Keep your bottle of vodka in the freezer! This also helps keep your drink cool when you mix everything together.
Whether you’re having a party, relaxing after dinner, or want a fast dessert drink, you can’t go wrong with a Mudslide!
Mudslide Cocktail Recipe
- 3 ounces heavy cream
- 3 ounces Irish Cream
- 3 ounces coffee liqueur
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup , divided, optional
- whipped cream for garnish, optional
- cocoa powder for garnish, optional
- Pour the heavy cream, Irish cream, coffee liqueur, and vodka in a mixing glass with a spout; stir to combine.
- Drizzle the chocolate syrup along the inside of two old-fashioned glasses.
- Add ice to each glass.
- Pour the cocktail mixture over the ice. Garnish with whipped cream and cocoa powder, if desired.