Meatball and Rice Skillet with Baby Peas – a delicious and easy weeknight meal all in one pot, featuring baked rice, meatballs, and sweet baby peas.
Did you all watch the Super Bowl this past weekend?
I wouldn’t say I “watched” it. More like the television and I happened to be in the same room while the game was on. HA. I even complained how boring the commercials were this year.
And then the game came alive!
I couldn’t care less about football, but I love a competitive display of two teams trying their hardest. And I certainly love a comeback story. Those last five minutes were exciting! Tom Brady absolutely deserved all the post accolades. I used it as a teaching moment with my kids too, of course. Never give up! It really isn’t over until it’s over.
We did love the halftime show with Lady Gaga. She’s amazing. And hanging out with friends. And the food. Always the food.
I usually make meatballs every year and serve them with different dipping sauces. This year I made a batch of my favorite homemade meatballs and then used some of them for this dinner last night. Delicious!
Meatball and Rice Skillet with Baby Peas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion , finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups Jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 16 cooked Italian meatballs , homemade or store-bought
- 1/2-3/4 cup sweet baby peas , thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Warm oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and saute for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Stir in rice to coat. Add the wine; cook until rice has absorbed almost all of the liquid, about 1 minute. Add broth, meatballs, and peas; bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20-22 minutes until rice is tender. Taste and add more salt, if necessary. Toss in the parsley.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
adapted from my Turkey and Rice Skillet