Creamy mashed cauliflower mixed with sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon, and then baked. This gluten free, low carb, keto-friendly recipe won’t just be a substitute for mashed potatoes, it will actually be a go-to dinner side dish. It’s so good!
Whether you’ve voluntarily or begrudgingly embraced a low-carb lifestyle, or are simply just looking for healthier side dishes, this mashed cauliflower recipe is going to make you so happy.
Yes, mashed cauliflower is a lighter version of mashed potatoes, but they don’t need to be a sad alternative. This is a side dish that can stand on its own, without comparing. Unless someone tells you, you might not even know you’re eating cauliflower!
Cauliflower is a fantastic ingredient to use in place of high carb foods like potatoes and rice, and as long as they’re flavored with other delicious ingredients, they won’t be bland at all.
This mashed cauliflower casserole is a perfect example, where steamed cauliflower is mashed and mixed with seasonings, sour cream, cheese, bacon, and scallions, then baked to perfection (a la a loaded baked potato!), but with less calories.
How many carbs in mashed cauliflower? Every recipe for cauliflower mash will have a different amount of carbs based on the other ingredients used, but this particular recipe only has 9 carbs per serving.
If you’re not concerned about cutting back on carbs, it’s also just another delicious side dish to tuck into your recipe binder that goes with so many proteins, and great for company around holiday time to accommodate special diets.
Why We Love this Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
Unlike starchy potatoes that can turn into a gummy paste if over-mashed, you don’t have that problem with cauliflower. We also absolutely love the nutty, earthy flavor that cauliflower offers. Plus, because this is gluten free, low carb, and keto-friendly, it can accommodate so many people, making it a great option for a dinner party or the holidays.
How to Make Cauliflower Mash
There are only a few simple steps involved in making this dish. Here’s a brief summary. (Scroll down for the detailed printable.)
- Steam the cauliflower until tender, transfer to a bowl and mash until mostly smooth.
- Add in the other ingredients (reserving some of the cheese and bacon for topping) and mix until combined.
- Transfer to a greased 8×8 baking dish and spread it into an even layer. Top with some cheese.
- Bake until warmed through and golden, serve and enjoy!
How long to steam cauliflower for mash? Depending on the size of your florets, they’ll be tender around the 10 minute mark.
How long to bake cauliflower mash? Because the cauliflower is steamed and already cooked, the bake time will range from 20-25 minutes. This ensures everything is warmed through and the cheese is melted.
Cut your prep time!
This mashed cauliflower recipe will keep in the refrigerator up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Can you freeze cauliflower mash? I do not recommend freezing this dish. Due to the dairy, the ingredients become watery and gritty after being thawed.
What to Serve with Cauliflower Mash
Our Mashed Cauliflower Recipe is perfect any time of year. Serve it with one of the following for a complete meal:
Other Cauliflower Recipes
Watch it Being Made
Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head cauliflower , cut into florets
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 6 slices bacon , cooked until crispy and crumbled, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fill a large pot with 3 inches of water and add a steamer insert. Bring water to boil; add cauliflower and cover with lid. Steam until very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer steamed cauliflower to a bowl and mash until mostly smooth.
- Add in the sour cream, 1/2 cup of the cheese, most of the bacon (reserving some for garnish), and butter, stirring until butter is melted. Season with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish, spreading it in an even layer. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden.
- Garnish with reserved bacon and chives. Serve and enjoy!