This easy recipe for Creamy Cauliflower Soup is made with fresh cauliflower, potatoes, cream, rich vegetable broth, and sharp cheddar cheese. It’s silky smooth, cheesy, and so flavorful!
When my daughter was younger, she hated cauliflower and me comparing it to a bride’s bouquet was the only way I could get her to eat it. Fast forward many years, now we joke about it and that maybe she’ll even serve something like this Creamy Cauliflower Soup at her wedding someday. She loves cauliflower. Whew!
If you’re looking for a nice bowl of comfort, this cauliflower soup recipe has your number! It’s really easy to make with some basic ingredients, but results in great depth of flavor.
How to Make Cauliflower Soup
You’ll start by sautéing diced onions, shallots, and garlic in butter, then adding potatoes and simmering all of that in a rich vegetable broth. Then the star of the show, cauliflower, along with herbs and seasonings get added to the pot. Sharp cheddar cheese and a hint of cream finish it off before blending into a creamy wonderful soup everyone will love.
- Vegetable broth can be replaced with chicken broth, but it will render a more mild flavor and is not my preference. Plus, the vegetable broth makes this soup vegetarian, accommodating more diets. But if chicken broth is all you have, by all means, use it!
- Whole milk or half-n-half can be used instead of the heavy cream, or you can simply omit it.
- The cayenne pepper in this recipe lends depth of flavor and does not make it spicy, but it can be left out.
- Add in some crispy crumbled bacon for more flavor.
- For even more depth of flavor, use roasted cauliflower! So good.
What to Serve with Cauliflower Soup
This is a soup that is so creamy and rich, you feel like you’re indulging, but it’s actually healthy and there’s no guilt going back for second helpings!
How long does cauliflower soup last in the fridge? This soup keeps well in the refrigerator, covered in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze Cauliflower cheese soup? Yes, you can freeze this soup. Allow to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight freezer-safe container. It will freeze for up to 2 months.
Other Cauliflower Recipes
- Mashed Cauliflower Casserole
- Roasted Cauliflower
- One Pot Cauliflower Rice
- Turkey Sausage and Cauliflower Stir Fry
Other Soup Recipes We Love
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet onion , diced
- 2 small shallots , minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 medium potato , peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 head cauliflower , chopped into small florets
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese , plus more for garnish
- croutons , for serving, optional
- Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Season with the salt, then mix in the potato and vegetable broth.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, keep covered, and let cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add in the cauliflower, dried mustard, thyme, cayenne, white pepper, and nutmeg; cook about 10 minutes more, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cheddar cheese until melted.
- Puree with a hand-held immersion blender for a chunky texture (or a regular blender for a smoother texture, working in batches.) Mix in additional broth if the soup is too thick.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve warm in bowls, topped with additional shredded cheese and croutons.