Quick, easy, and flavorful, this Honey Mustard Chicken comes together with just 4 ingredients, plus seasonings, and only 5 minutes of prep. It’s a super delicious and satisfying weeknight dinner.
Easy Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
Add this Honey Mustard Chicken to your easy and flavorful weeknight dinners list. Chicken thighs are seasoned and coated with a honey mustard sauce made up of tangy Dijon mustard, sweet honey, and a bit of oil, then baked to juicy perfection. Simple ingredients that pack in so much flavor, I could just enjoy the sauce by the spoonful!
The hands-on prep time is only about 5 minutes and then half an hour in the oven until dinner is served. Pair it with some crusty bread or your favorite roasted vegetable for a complete meal.
How to Make Honey Mustard Chicken
This easy chicken thigh recipe requires a few steps and just 30 minutes in the oven. Here’s a brief summary:
(Scroll to the bottom for our easy printable recipe with the complete directions.)
- Make the honey mustard mixture. Whisk together the mustard, honey, and olive oil.
- Add it to the chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a single layer in a baking dish. Pour the honey-mustard mixture on top, turning the thighs so they’re completely covered. Add thyme sprigs.
- Bake. Bake for 30 minutes (or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F), basting the tops of the chicken with sauce halfway through.
How Long Should I Bake Chicken Thighs?
The amount of time it takes for chicken thighs to bake completely will depend on the size of the thighs as well as bone-in or boneless. These boneless thighs took about 30 minutes to cook. Bigger thighs may need 35 to 45 minutes. The best way to tell when they’re finished cooking is to use an instant-read thermometer. Chicken is finished cooking when it reads 165F.
Tip for Success
For the juiciest, most flavorful honey mustard chicken keep the following tips in mind.
- Use equal-sized pieces of chicken. For chicken that cooks evenly, try to select thighs that are roughly the same size and thickness.
- Coat all sides of the chicken. When you pour the honey mustard sauce over the chicken, be sure to rotate and flip the chicken so that both sides are coated in the sauce.
- Baste the tops of the chicken. Halfway through cooking, pour some of the sauce back over the tops of the chicken so it can create a nice glaze.
- Let rest for 5 minutes. After you remove it from the oven, allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving, so that the juices distribute evenly throughout the chicken.
What to Serve with Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
I love serving this dish with some fluffy traditional mashed potatoes or colcannon (Irish mashed potatoes with cabbage) and crispy roasted green beans with a little bit of the honey-mustard sauce spooned over the top. It’s the perfect combination of textures and flavors for a complete easy weeknight dinner. Here are some other ideas:
- Other roasted vegetables. Not a fan of green beans? Try roasted broccoli, roasted carrots, or roasted beets.
- Rice. This dish pairs so well with our favorite mushroom rice or rice pilaf.
- Bread. You can never go wrong with bread to mop up any extra sauce. Try our popovers, dinner rolls, or dutch oven bread.
- Low carb. Cut back on the carbs with a side of mashed cauliflower or cauliflower rice.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
- How to store leftovers. Leftover baked chicken thighs will last for 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Be sure to store them in all the extra sauce.
- To freeze. Cool completely, then freeze leftovers in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- How to reheat. You can reheat the leftovers in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the oven. Just be sure to reheat only until warmed through so the chicken doesn’t dry out.
More Easy Chicken Thighs Recipes:
Honey Mustard Chicken
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8 thighs)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, honey, and olive oil.
- Place chicken in a single layer and season with salt and pepper to taste on both sides. Pour the honey-mustard mixture over them, turning the thighs in the mixture and making sure they are completely covered with the sauce. Place the thyme sprigs in between the pieces of chicken.
- Bake for about 30 minutes (or until an instant read thermometer registers 165 degrees F), basting the tops of the chicken with more sauce half way through.
- Remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with some extra sauce over the top. Sprinkle with a bit of fresh chopped parsley, if desired.