This easy Honey Garlic Chicken recipe is a super flavorful slow cooker chicken dish that only takes 10 minutes of prep. You end up with a sweet and savory, sticky sauce over perfectly tender chicken. So delicious!
Easy Chicken Dinner Winner
This super simple and easy chicken recipe will have your mouth watering from the smell and the gorgeous sticky glaze. The chicken slow cooks in a sauce made up of mainly garlic, honey, ketchup, and soy sauce for only a few hours and doesn’t require any pre-sautéing or marinating time. You end up with tender meat that has a glossy coat and a sweet and savory umami flavor. There’s lots of extra sauce, too, perfect to drizzle over roasted vegetables or for hot cooked rice to soak up. Delish!
Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs Recipe
The ingredients needed for this Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs recipe is short and simple, all complimenting each other very well. I bet if you look in your pantry, you already have everything on hand.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Chicken: We prefer boneless, skinless chicken thighs over chicken breasts, since dark meat is more moist and flavorful, but chicken breasts are fine. They won’t need as much time to cook, so start checking on them sooner.
- Onion and Garlic: Our favorite duo for flavor and aromatics.
- Honey: This is what makes that gorgeous, sweet glaze.
- Ketchup: Only a little bit, which provides wonderful tanginess.
- Low sodium soy sauce: For the salty, savory flavor that balances out the honey and ketchup. Make sure to use low-sodium, so the dish isn’t overly salty.
- Vegetable oil: To help transfer fat-soluble flavors onto the chicken and prevent the other sharp flavors from dominating. Also helps the chicken retain moisture.
- Seasoning: Salt, pepper, and some crushed red pepper flakes, to elevate all the other flavors.
- Water and cornstarch: Mixed together to thicken the sauce.
- Garnish: Toasted sesame seeds and beautiful, green scallions finish off the dish for taste and color.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken
Ready for how easy this is? Simply place the chicken thighs in a slow cooker that’s been coated with cooking spray. Season both sides with salt and pepper, combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and pour over the chicken. Put the lid on and cook for a few hours until an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Whenever we make this, they’re done at 4 hours, but we recommend checking after 3 hours to make sure the chicken doesn’t dry out. You can then enjoy as is or thicken the sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions, and enjoy!
To make this slow cooker chicken recipe, follow the directions in the detailed printable recipe card below. Don’t have a crock pot? Try using a roasting pan and cook in a 250 degree F oven for 3-4 hours, or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees is reached.
How to Thicken The Sauce
There is a lot of sauce left when the chicken is done cooking. If you want it thicker, whisk together the water and cornstarch in a small bowl until dissolved. Pour that mixture into a small saucepan along with the sauce. Whisk to combine and cook over medium heat until bubbly and thickened. Easy!
How to Store Leftovers
Allow any leftover chicken and sauce to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container (either together or separate.) Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in freezer-safe containers for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on the stove or microwave.
What to Serve with Honey Garlic Chicken
We like to serve Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs with cooked rice to soak up the sauce, a vegetable, and this simple side salad for a complete meal. This dish pairs perfectly with coconut rice, roasted carrots, or roasted broccoli.
More Easy Chicken Recipes:
- Chicken Alfredo
- Cranberry Chicken
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Teriyaki Chicken
- From Scratch Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Baked Chicken Breast
Honey Garlic Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs , excess fat removed
- salt and pepper
- 1 small sweet onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- toasted sesame seeds , for serving
- 3 scallions , diced
- Coat a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper to taste; transfer to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the diced onion, garlic, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, vegetable oil, and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
- Put the lid on and cook until an internal temperature of the thighs reaches 165 degrees F. Whenever we make this, they're done at 4 hours, but we recommend checking after 3 hours to make sure the chicken doesn't dry out.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch until dissolved. Pour mixture into a small saucepan along with the sauce. Whisk to combine and cook over medium heat until bubbly and thickened.
- Serve chicken thighs over cooked rice and spoon some sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with a little sesame seeds and diced scallions.
- NOTE: We prefer chicken thighs over chicken breasts, since dark meat is more moist and flavorful, but chicken breasts are fine. They won't need as much time to cook, so start checking on them sooner.Don't have a crock pot? Try using a roasting pan and cook in a 250 degree F oven for 3-4 hours, or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees is reached.