Take this Honey Bun Spice Cake to potlucks and make all the friends! Spice cake layered with a brown sugar-cinnamon swirl and topped with a silky vanilla glaze is irresistible!
General rule about cooking for guests: don’t try a brand new recipe.
My exception: unless it involves eggs, butter, flour, and sugar.
Everyone with me? I mean, with those ingredients your odds of everyone liking it go way up.
Sister Jen hosted a holiday dinner last weekend. The task of dessert was placed on me. Okay, okay. I offered. Demanded, really. That’s usually how it goes. And I decided to make something I’d never made before. But again, it’s cake.
And who wouldn’t enjoy a spice cake with alternating layers of brown sugar and cinnamon, then topped with a powdered sugar glaze?
Holy mother of Abraham Lincoln. This cake is…well, it’s not for sugar wimps. You might as well have a sugar IV hooked up to you. Which naturally means that I loved it.
Why is it called Honey Bun?
Traditionally Honey Bun Cake is made with a yellow cake mix that’s filled with a brown sugar-cinnamon swirl, which is reminiscent of a honey bun. I swapped out the yellow cake for spice cake and added a vanilla glaze which takes it to level 11!
Does this recipe use boxed or from scratch Spice Cake Mix?
I used boxed cake mix, but if you have a “from scratch” spice cake recipe you love, absolutely feel free to use that!
Can I add nuts to this cake?
Sure! 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans would be so good. You could mix them into the batter or the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture.
How long will this spice cake keep?
This cake is very moist and can sit out on the counter for 2-3 days. Anything longer, it will need to be refrigerated. Either way, be sure to cover it so it doesn’t dry out.
This spice cake.
It’s better than a back massage after a long day. It’s better than getting into a freshly made bed. Better than 75 degrees and sunny. Better than finding the missing sock. Better than Christmas morning. It’s better than 9-week old puppies licking your face (almost.)
So good with a cup of coffee or cold glass of milk. I’ve had this cake for breakfast the last two mornings. And a slice for lunch.
Send help. Stat.
Other Cake recipes you will love!
Honey Bun Spice Cake
For the Cake
- 18 ounce box spice cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
For the Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 13×9 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix, eggs, sour cream, and oil until well-incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon until well-blended.
- Pour half of the cake batter into your greased pan, spreading it out into a thin layer.
- Sprinkle half of the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture evenly on top of the batter. Pour the remaining batter on top and spread evenly. Top the cake with the rest of the brown sugar-cinnamon.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- In the meantime, make the glaze: in a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Immediately pour over the cake when it’s done baking, tilting the pan if necessary to coat evenly.
- Let the cake sit for a few minutes so the glaze can set and serve warm or at room temperature. And enjoy!