This creamy homemade poppy seed dressing recipe is the perfect sweet and tangy flavor combination for fruits and salad, and comes together in just 5 minutes!
Let’s talk creamy dressing today. I have two favorites – my Honey Sesame Dressing, which is so awesome on greens, chicken, fish, and french fries << OH YA. And this Poppy Seed Dressing. Both have that sweet and tangy flavor combo that I adore.
There are about a gazillion recipes floating around for Poppy Seed Dressing, but I like my version the best. It’s so easy to make, there’s really no reason to buy it.
Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
Ingredients you’ll need:
*Scroll below for the complete printable recipe card.
- Half n half (if you can’t find this, it’s simply equal parts heavy cream and whole milk)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Granulated sugar (this balances out the sharp acidity from the vinegar. Don’t skip it.)
- Poppy seeds
- Dry mustard powder
How to Make Poppy Seed Dressing:
Making this dressing is as easy as you’d imagine. You just whisk all the ingredients together until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Milk may be substituted for the half n half, but it won’t be as creamy.
- You can use plain Greek yogurt in place of the mayonnaise, but it will change the flavor profile – more tangy, less sweet.
- White wine vinegar can be substituted for the apple cider vinegar.
How To Store Poppyseed Dressing
This dressing will keep refrigerated for up to a week in a tightly fitted container. I like to store it in a mason jar with a lid, that way I can easily shake it up again before serving.
What to Use Poppy Seed Dressing For
You mean besides pouring it directly into you mouth? HA. It is wonderful on this Strawberry Spinach Salad and would also be great for coleslaw and just drizzled on fresh fruit!
Some other Dressings we love!
Homemade Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
- 3/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/ tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- pinch of salt
- In medium bowl, whisk all the ingredients together until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Taste and adjust any of the ingredients, to your liking.
- Transfer to a clean jar with a lid and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use. Shake well before using.
(adapted slightly from Barefeet in the Kitchen)