Sweet and tangy grilled chicken topped with melted cheese and fresh fruit pineapple is an easy and flavor-packed sandwich that is great for lunch or dinner. A perfect summer meal the entire family will love!
I’m a sucker for any dish with “Hawaiian” in the name. Chances are it’s going to involve pineapple juice and brown sugar, so what’s not to love?
After raving about these Hawaiian Pork Sliders last summer, my friend Sarah chimed in and said I’d love her Grilled Chicken Sandwiches, too. And I do! I’ve been making them ever since.
Ingredients needed for these Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Pineapple rings
- Soy sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Dijon mustard
- Provolone cheese slices
- Hamburger buns
The chicken marinates overnight in the soy sauce, mustard, pineapple and brown sugar (see!) mixture. SO GOOD.
5 minutes of prep and 15 minutes to cook, and you’ve got one killer sandwich. And you don’t need to travel to Hawaii to get it. Although that would be nice…
Other Grilling recipes we love
- Asian Grilled Steak Salad
- Thai Shrimp with Pineapple Cucumber Salad
- Grilled Chicken Breasts with Lemon and Herbs
Hawaiian Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 6 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 8 ounce can pineapple rings (or fresh!), patted dry
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 buns or kaiser rolls
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Pound out the chicken breasts to an even 1-inch thickness if they are bigger than that; slice each in half, so you have 4 pieces total. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine the juice from the pineapple can, soy sauce, brown sugar, and mustard. Marinate the chicken overnight in the the juice mixture.
- Prepare your grill for medium-high heat and oil the grates well.
- Grill the chicken for 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through. With 3 minutes remaining, add the cheese on top of each chicken piece.
- While the chicken is grilling, add the pineapple rings halfway through, turning once.
- Smear some mayo on the buns, then top with a piece of chicken and a pineapple ring.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!