Sweet and tangy grilled chicken topped with melted cheese and fresh fruit pineapple is an easy and flavor-packed sandwich that is great for lunch or dinner. These Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches are a perfect summer meal the entire family will love!
Hawaiian Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
I’m a sucker for any dish with “Hawaiian” in the name. Chances are it’s going to involve pineapple juice and brown sugar, so what’s not to love?
After raving about these Hawaiian Pork Sliders last summer, my friend Sarah chimed in and said I’d love her Grilled Chicken Sandwiches, too. And I do! I’ve been making them ever since. The chicken marinates overnight in the soy sauce, mustard, pineapple and brown sugar (see!) mixture. SO GOOD.
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements)
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Pineapple rings
- Soy sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Dijon mustard
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Provolone cheese slices
- Hamburger buns
How to Make a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
5 minutes of prep and 15 minutes to cook, and you’ve got one killer sandwich. And you don’t need to travel to Hawaii to get it. Although that would be nice! To make this grilled chicken sandwich recipe, follow the steps below included in the printable recipe card.
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
These sandwiches are great on their own, but we like to serve them with a side to round out the meal. Some of our favorites include coleslaw, broccoli salad, mexican street corn salad, and macaroni salad.
More Grilling Recipes:
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 6 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounce can pineapple rings (or fresh!), patted dry
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 buns or kaiser rolls
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Pound out the chicken breasts to an even 1-inch thickness if they are bigger than that; slice each in half, so you have 4 pieces total. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Combine the juice from the pineapple can, soy sauce, brown sugar, and mustard. Marinate the chicken overnight in the the juice mixture.
- Prepare your grill for medium-high heat and oil the grates well.
- Grill the chicken for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through (or until an internal temperature reaches 165F.) With 3 minutes remaining, add the cheese on top of each chicken piece.
- While the chicken is grilling, add the pineapple rings halfway through, turning once.
- Smear some mayo on the buns, then top with a piece of chicken and a pineapple ring.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Reader Questions and Reviews
I FINALLY made these. They were super yummy, and they only took me 15 minutes total! I forgot to marinate over night, so they got about 3 hours in the marinade and still absorbed plenty of flavor. :o)
Another delicious way to cook chicken – big hit over here!
We went to a luau-themed wedding this past weekend and I was REALLY hoping for some Hawaiian-themed foods. Unfortunately, there was only pasta and eggplant parm. What the WHAT?! So basically I’m long overdue for some of that pineapple brown sugar mix!
I knew just based on the ingredients my family would love these…and they did. So easy and tasty. Into the permanent recipe binder. Thank you!
I never stopped to think about it, but I guess I love anything with Hawaiin in the name also!
These were DELICIOUS!! My husband took the last bite and asked when I’ll be making them again. LOL
I, too, am a sucker for Hawaiian anything! I would eat the heck out of these.
I want this for breakfast! Holy jeez this looks delicious!
Yay!! I couldn’t remember if you’d actually made these or not (I feel like it’s been forever since we talked about them). Glad you liked them. Now I need to add them to my meal plan this week – it’s been too long since I’ve made them!
Mmm!! These were perfect!
Can you come to my house and make me some? Those look delicious. It’s so hot here and so damn humid that all I want to do is eat salad and whine.