Funeral Potatoes is a classic potato casserole, popular at Utah funerals. This side dish is also perfect for luncheons and dinner, of course – easy, comforting, and delicious!
What are Funeral Potatoes
Funeral potatoes (also known as party potatoes and cheesy potatoes) is a cheesy potato hotdish. The name comes from its popularity being served at a lot of funerals around the midwest because they are crowd-pleasing pure comfort food.
Not just for potlucks, they’re a great side dish to accompany dinner that go with just about anything. Everyone loves them!
Funeral Potatoes Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need:
*Scroll below for variations and the detailed printable recipe card.
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Cream of chicken soup
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Unsalted butter
- Sweet onion
- Tater Tots
- Corn flakes
- Use Hash Browns or Tater Tots. I used Tater Tots, but this dish is traditionally made with hash browns. They both work!
- You can totally vary the cheeses. This recipe incorporates cheddar and Monterey Jack, but you could use Italian, Colby Jack, or Pepper Jack for an added kick. Whatever floats your boat!
- Sub in sour cream for the Greek yogurt.
- Switch up the topping! Instead of a cornflake topping, you could use Panko breadcrumbs or corn chips.
- Double the recipe: I halved the recipe, since I served them as a side dish with dinner and only feeding the four of us, but you can easily double it!
How To Make Funeral Potatoes
This dish is super easy to make in a just a couple steps. Here’s a brief rundown:
*See below for the detailed printable recipe card and video.
- Combine both cheeses, cream of chicken soup, Greek yogurt, melted butter, and onions. Gently fold in the tater tots.
- Spread mixture in a greased 8×8-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle crushed corn flakes on top and drizzle with butter.
- Bake until the the potatoes are cooked through and the top is golden and bubbly.
Funeral Potatoes Video
Other Potato Recipes we love!
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can low sodium cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter ,melted
- 1 small sweet onion ,diced
- 4 cups Tater Tots (or hash browns)
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter ,melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8×8 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine both cheeses, cream of chicken soup, Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup melted butter, and onions. Gently fold in the tater tots. Spread in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the crushed corn flakes on top of the mixture. Drizzle the 2 tablespoons of butter over the corn flakes.
- Bake for 55 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and the top is golden and bubbly.