Grilled Steak is served over a cabbage and cucumber salad, drizzled with an excellent Asian dressing and sprinkled with roasted cashews. This easy recipe is a fantastic complete meal, great for lunch or dinner!
Apparently I like cleaning my outdoor grill about as much as I like cleaning my oven (otherwise known as almost never) – because I had another gas fire while grilling up my meat for this. Steak thrashed. Money down the drain. Had to start over. No bueno.
PSA: clean your outdoor grill after every use, or at least every other use. ‘Cuz gas fires are ugly, friends.
I’ve been making this Asian Grilled Steak Salad for a few years now and realized I had never shared it with you.
It’s a perfect dish for the meat and salad lover, including all those great components that a salad of substance should have, imho – fresh produce, acidity, sweetness, and a flavorful dressing. Filling, yet light. I just love it. Love it even more when I don’t burn it the first time!
If you don’t have an outdoor grill, try broiling the sirloin 4 inches from the heat for about 5 minutes, flip and cook 5 minutes more until desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°)
Make it, you’ll love it!
And check out these other recipes for grilling:
- Steak Salad with Tzatziki Sauce
- Thai Shrimp with Pineapple Cucumber Salad
- Grilled Chicken Breasts with Lemon and Herbs
Asian Grilled Steak Salad
For the Asian Dressing
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium or gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
- salt and pepper , to taste
For the Salad
- 1 pound beef top sirloin (1-inch thick)
- 8 leaves napa cabbage ,rolled up, and sliced julienned crosswise
- 1 small cucumber , thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup roasted and salted cashews , chopped
- In a small bowl, thoroughly whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- With a fork, pierce steak all over and place in a plastic bag with 1/2 of the dressing (reserve the rest.) Let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes while you warm up your grill.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high. Lightly oil the grill grates. Discard marinade and grill steak, flipping once, until desired doneness is reached (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°)
- Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain.
- Divide the strips of cabbage, cucumber, and steak among 4 plates.
- Give the remaining dressing a good whirl and drizzle over the top, along with a sprinkle of the chopped cashews.
- Serve and enjoy!