Once you eat roasted broccoli, you’ll never want it any other way! It’s so easy to make, crazy delicious, and goes great with any meal.
Hearing my kids say “please,” “thank you,” and “I love you” is music to my ears. Add “Mom, can you make roasted broccoli for dinner tonight?” to that list. Who would ever get tired of hearing that?! I would say it’s their favorite side dish, tied with roasted carrots.
If you’ve never had roasted broccoli, you are truly missing out. We affectionally refer to it as “broccoli crack” because it’s so addicting. I often roast some up and eat it for lunch without anything else.
This recipe for roasted broccoli couldn’t be easier, too. You only need broccoli, olive oil, salt, and pepper. You could also sprinkle additional seasonings on your broccoli like thyme or oregano, or a generous helping of freshly grated Parmesan. But I love it simple. Roasting vegetables brings out the absolute best flavor – they really don’t need anything else.
Tips for making the best roasted broccoli
- Cut the florets into medium-sized florets. Too small and they’ll burn.
- Cut the florets into uniform pieces. Making sure they’ll all the same size, allows them to cook the same.
- Place them onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Vegetables let off moisture as they cook and if they’re piled on top of one another they will steam and not roast.
- Roast at 425 degrees F. High heat is best!
- Toss halfway through cooking. This allows the florets to roast evenly and brown on all sides.
- Roast until the broccoli is tender and slightly crisp. Don’t over-cook the florets or they’ll be mushy and fall apart. You want them to be al dente and nicely browned around the edges – the charred pieces are the most delish!
You’ll end up with the best tasting side dish…and one that’s good for you.
Know some kids (or even adults!) who don’t like broccoli? Roast some up and I bet you’ll convert them!
Other roasted vegetable recipes we love
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Eggplant and Cherry Tomatoes
- Rosted Parmesan Creamed Onions
How To Make Roasted Broccoli
How To Make The Best Roasted Broccoli
- 2 heads broccoli , cut into florets of uniform size (about 8 cups)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place broccoli florets onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently toss to get all the florets evenly coated, then make sure they're all in a single layer.
- Place into oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tender, tossing halfway through. (Test with a fork - should be tender, but al dente. And lightly browned. Don’t worry if you see some charring - those pieces are the best!)
- Serve immediately and enjoy!