This Skillet Breakfast Hash is so easy and delicious. Perfect for camping or at home!
This recipe was developed by me for Safeway whom I have an ongoing relationship with. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for helping to support the brands that I love and make Belly Full possible!
We’ve had back to back trips in June, which could not have been more different.
First was Las Vegas, which was crowded, flashy, loud, busy, and hot. And super fun.
Second was camping in the mountains, which was sparse, quiet, calm, and beautiful. And super fun.
I can’t decide whether I actually love camping, or just the idea of camping. I really prefer a nice clean bathroom, and a comfortable bed with soft sheets. Who doesn’t, though!? Having said that, there’s nothing like falling to sleep under the stars, with the sound of nature surrounding us.
Of course the contrast in food between Vegas and camping is like night and day, as well. The plates of food served in the restaurants have a million different components, colors, and pizazz. And you pay for it, too! While camping food is just simple, pure, and clean. We’ve been camping enough times now, that I’ve learned what food works and what doesn’t, and how to pack.
Open Nature® had me covered, as always. Love love love their products. They’re a distinct brand dedicated to the clean lifestyle, offering all high quality, minimally processed, free-from 110 artificial/chemical ingredients, for the well-being of people, pets, and the environment. Never anything artificial — no artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners or preservatives, no chemical additives, no high fructose corn syrup, no partially hydrogenated oils, and no unrecognizable ingredients.
There’s over 400 products, including non-food household items, too. Plus, they guarantee quality and satisfaction or your money back. So basically, Open Nature products are awesome.
I use their bacon and chicken sausage A LOT. It’s the same (or better!) quality vs. national/private label competitor clean brands, at a lower price. WIN.
You all know my obsession with breakfast food. Well, it’s sort of what we live off of while camping. Along with hot dogs and s’mores, of course. This hash is killer, you guys. And reason #147 why everyone should own a cast iron skillet! The potatoes and chicken sausage get all crispy and golden. And the little fat that’s rendered from the sausage gives the eggs a certain umami that makes your mouth want more, even if you’re full.
Camping not your thing? That’s totally ok. You can still cook this up at home. And you should!
These great products mentioned are available in my area exclusively at Safeway stores. Don’t live near a Safeway? No worries. You can also find all the Open Nature products at any of the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaws, Star Market, and Carrs/Safeway. Visit Safeway.com to find a store near you and discover more meal prep tips and recipe ideas.
other breakfast ideas for you!
Skillet Breakfast Hash
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 large) ,diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 links Open Nature® Smoked Chicken Apple Sausage ,diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 4 large Open Nature® Cage Free Brown Eggs
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions ,diced
- Open Nature® Everything Flatbread crackers
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, for 10 minutes.
- Add in the chicken sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 10 minutes. The potatoes should be golden and crisp.
- Season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Make four wells in the hash and crack an egg into each one. Sprinkle the cheese around each egg and continue cooking until the whites are no longer clear and the yolk is to your liking.
- Sprinkle with the scallions and serve immediately with some of the flatbread.