Sausage and rice with broccoli are combined in this one pot skillet meal that is so easy and delicious. Get your protein and vegetables all in one. A great dinner for the entire family!
Easy Sausage and Rice Skillet
Sausage and rice with broccoli. This is the kind of dish I could eat every single day. Simple ingredients, easy, and flavorful. Bonus, it’s all made in only one pot, so there’s little clean-up.
I always keep my pantry stocked with the basics like rice, chicken stock, and onions because I use them all the time. Sausage and broccoli are other staples in my fridge or freezer. You can make magic with all of these ingredients! I bet you have these items in your house, too.
You only need a small handful of ingredients to make this rice skillet:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Italian Sausage – You can use a brick or links (casings removed.) Just make sure it’s seasoned Italian pork.
- Onion & Garlic – For wonderful aromatics and flavor.
- Rice – Dry uncooked long grain white rice is used. (See note below regarding other rice.)
- Chicken broth – The uncooked rice absorbs the chicken broth as it cooks, adding an extra layer of flavor. Use low-sodium so the dish isn’t overly salty.
- White wine – The alcohol in this recipe cooks off and lends wonderful depth of flavor (see note below if you prefer not to use it.)
- Broccoli – Fresh cut broccoli is the perfect vegetable for this dish.
- Olive oil – Used to sauté the onion and sausage.
- Seasonings – Simple salt and pepper season the dish.
Not only is this one pot meal easy, but you have options! I love that.
- The Grain – you can use either long grain white rice, Jasmine rice, or Basmati rice. Brown rice would probably work, but since it takes about 10 minutes longer to cook, you’ll need more broth.
- The Vegetable – if broccoli isn’t your thing, you can use green beans or baby peas.
- The Wine – the alcohol lends wonderful flavor and completely cooks off, but if you are opposed to cooking with wine, you can use extra chicken broth in its place. Note that the overall flavor won’t be as deep.
How to Make Sausage and Rice Skillet
This one pan dish is so easy to make – everything cooks in the same skillet, which means more flavor and less time washing dishes! Here’s a summary.
(Scroll down to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Sauté the sausage. Warm oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and let it develop a little golden crust; cook, breaking it up into small pieces until no pink remains.
- Add the onion and garlic. Stir in the onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant. Season with a dash of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add in rice, wine and broth. Stir in rice to coat. Add the wine; cook until rice has absorbed almost all of the liquid. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer. Cover the skillet and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes until rice is tender.
- Add broccoli. Stir in the broccoli, cover again, and cook for another 10 minutes until broccoli is tender and rice has absorbed the broth.
- Serve. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Store leftovers. Allow to cool completely, then store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To freeze. Cool completely, then store in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating. Note that the cooked broccoli will have a much softer texture after being frozen and thawed.
More Rice Skillet Meals:
- Easy Jambalaya
- Rice and Beans
- Weeknight Paella
- Ground Turkey Skillet
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Skillet
- Mexican Rice Skillet
Sausage and Rice Skillet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces Italian sausage , casings removed, broken into pieces
- 1 small sweet onion , finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 & 1/4 cups long grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 & 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 head broccoli (about 6 ounces), cut into 1 1/2-inch florets
- Warm oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and let it develop a little golden crust; cook, breaking it up into small pieces until no pink remains.
- Add onion; saute until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and saute for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Season with a dash of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in rice to coat.
- Add the wine; cook until rice has absorbed almost all of the liquid, about 1 minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes until rice is tender.
- Stir in the broccoli, cover, and cook for another 10 minutes until broccoli is tender and rice has absorbed the broth.
- Taste and add more salt, if necessary. Serve immediately and enjoy!