Your childhood favorite Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich is made at home and decorated in red, white, and blue for the 4th of July. So easy to assemble and even more fun to eat!
We also love our Ice Cream Sandwich Cake, which uses layers of ice cream sandwich bars, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and whipped cream for a decadent summer treat. It’s super easy to assemble, but looks like you labored all day over it.
These Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are a super simple semi-recipe that’s festive and fun, yummy, and crazy easy to make. If your kids seem to have a lot of free time on their hands this summer, they could even make them.
With two classic comfort foods in one, cookie ice cream sandwiches are always coveted when the ice cream truck rolls down our street. We decided to make our own with a patriotic spin, perfect for 4th of July get togethers.
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
All you need to make these are 4 simple ingredients:
- Sugar cookie dough: Just buy a 16 ounce roll of pre-made sugar cookie dough or use your favorite soft sugar cookie recipe.
- Red, white, and blue chocolate chips: These get mixed into the cookie dough. We found a mix called Yummallo Patriotic at Walmart. If you can’t find these, you can use regular mini chips or just simply omit them.
- Vanilla ice cream: Use a high quality vanilla ice cream, preferably slow-churned.
- Patriotic sprinkles: These are for rolling the assembled cookie sandwiches in and what make them so festive for the holiday. We made our own mix of a few different kinds of sprinkles, but you can also buy a pre-made mix online here NOTE: After experimenting, we do not recommend colored sugar – they make a big mess as the ice cream melts.
How to Make Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Vanilla ice cream is sandwiched between two sugar cookies and rolled in red, white, and blue sprinkles. These Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are the perfect summer treat and can be made ahead of time, so you’re ready to whip them out when guests arrive for your holiday get together.
After you bake your cookies, they’ll need to cool completely and then placed in the freezer for 30 minutes. Freezing the cookies makes them more stable and hardens the melted chocolate chips. Stiff cookies are necessary to sandwich the ice cream in between, otherwise you’ll end up with crumbly cookies.
Once they’re assembled, they’ll go back in the freezer to harden and set fully. We also recommend wrapping them individually, then back in the freezer until ready to serve. Yep, a lot of time in and out of the freezer, but they’re super easy! (Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
How to Store Ice Cream Sandwiches
Once the ice cream sandwiches are assembled, place them back in the freezer to harden and set completely. Then, individually wrap them in plastic wrap and transfer to freezer bags. They will keep up to 1 month in the freezer.
Other Ice Cream Recipes:
More 4th of July Recipes:
- Red White and Blue Jello Poke Cake
- Blue Hawaiian Jello Shots
- 4th of July Caramel Corn
- Dessert Fruit Kabobs
- Red White and Blue Muddy Buddies
Patriotic Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 16 ounce tube sugar cookie dough (or your favorite soft sugar cookie dough recipe)
- 1/2 cup red, white, and blue mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup red, white, and blue sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place cookie dough in a medium mixing bowl. Allow the dough to sit out on the counter for 10 minutes to make stirring easier.
- Pour chocolate chips into the cookie dough and stir them in evenly.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto a nonstick sheet pan, staggering them so they will not spread into each other.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until they are just golden around the edges. (Watch them carefully and do not over-bake.)
- Allow the cookies to cool completely, then transfer to the the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Let the ice cream sit out for 5 or so minutes to soften just enough to make scooping and pressing easier.
- Flip half of the cookies over. Scoop about 1/4 cup of ice cream onto the flipped cookies. Top the ice cream with the additional cookies and gently press down until the ice cream reaches the edge.
- Pour the sprinkles into a bowl or on a plate. Roll the cookie edges into the sprinkles until all sides are covered.
- Place assembled ice cream sandwiches in the freezer to harden and set fully. Then, individually wrap them in plastic wrap and place back into the freezer until ready to serve.
- NOTE: Don't miss the helpful tips and more information about the ingredients in the full article.