Sweet, sour, and boozy, this Apple Cider Moscow Mule is a fun fall twist on a traditional cocktail. It comes together in minutes, perfect for the fall and winter seasons. You can even make a big batch for a party!
An Easy Fall Cocktail
It’s always fun to take classic recipes and alter them slightly to put a seasonal spin on them and create something new. Such is the case with this traditional Moscow mule that has a delicious fall twist. Apple cider pairs perfectly with sour ginger beer, making it a perfect fall drink.
Contrary to the name, most ginger beers are actually non-alcoholic. While you can get some ginger beer with an alcohol content these days, the majority are nothing more than a fizzy, sour drink. It’s the vodka that makes a Moscow mule a cocktail, not the ginger beer.
I love the addition of apple cider to this drink and I think you will too! It has a great balance of sweet, sour, and boozy that’s just perfect for fall.
What Alcohol Goes In A Moscow Mule?
A Moscow Mule is traditionally made with vodka. Like most cocktails, a mid-range vodka works perfectly. There’s no need for top shelf liquor when you’re adding so many other ingredients and flavors, but you don’t want the cheapest option either.
Not a fan of vodka? You can use these other liquors instead:
- Tequila – This is also known as a Mexican Mule.
- Gin – This is also known as a Gin Buck or Gin Gin Mule.
- Rum – This is also known as a Dark ‘n Stormy if it’s made with dark rum.
Moscow Mule Ingredients
This apple cider Moscow mule is made with the same ingredients as the original drink, plus a few extras!
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Apple cider: The cider should be chilled. Do NOT substitute apple cider vinegar.
- Vodka: Any mid-range vodka will work.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed, not from a bottle.
- Crushed ice
- Ginger beer: It’s essential to use a good quality ginger beer (like Bundaberg.) If you want a sweeter drink, you can use ginger ale instead of ginger beer.
- Optional garnish: Apple slices, cinnamon sticks, and apple pie spice.
How to Make Apple Cider Moscow Mule
Making this holiday cocktail could not be easier!
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for complete details.)
- Combine ingredients. Pour apple cider, vodka and lime juice into a copper mug. Then, add the crushed ice and top off with the ginger beer. Stir to combine.
- Garnish and serve. Drop a half-moon apple slice into the mug with a cinnamon stick. Serve.
Need a cocktail for a crowd or maybe looking for something with some heat? Here are a few options:
- Make it spicy. Add in 1/2 to 1 ounce of Fireball cinnamon whisky (to taste).
- Make it sweeter. If you can’t find apple cider or just want a sweeter cocktail, you can use apple juice instead.
- Make a party pitcher. Need enough for a party pitcher? Scale everything up by 12 and then add in an extra 1 1/2 cups of the apple cider. Or simply mix 4 cups apple cider, 2 bottles ginger beer, and 1 cup vodka in a pitcher. Then just pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish.
- Make a mocktail. For a non-alcohol drink, simply leave out the shot of vodka. You’ll still get all the sweet and sour flavor.
Why Are Moscow Mules Served In Copper Mugs?
The main reason that Moscow Mules are served in copper mugs is that the copper keeps the drink colder for longer. The copper itself becomes cold and in turn helps the drink stay cold. There is also a rumor that the copper enhances the flavor of the lime and ginger beer.
Can I Make This In Advance?
Individual drinks are quick and easy to prepare in the moment but if you want to make a big batch of apple cider Moscow mules in advance, you absolutely can. Just combine all ingredients except for the ice and ginger beer. Refrigerate until it’s time to serve, then pour into glasses over ice and top with the ginger beer.
Apple Cider Moscow Mule
- 2 ounces apple cider , chilled (NOT apple cider vinegar)
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 tablespoon lime juice , freshly squeezed
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1/2 cup ginger beer , chilled
- 1 to 2 half-moon apple slices , for garnish
- cinammon stick , for garnish
- Pour apple cider, vodka, and lime juice into a Moscow Mule copper mug.
- Add crushed ice and top off with the ginger beer. Stir well to combine.
- Drop a small half-moon apple slice wedge into the mug along with acinnamon stick, for garnish.
- Enjoy cold!