Tender and flavorful oven roasted brussels sprouts baked with apples, cranberries, and pecans. A great side dish with just about anything!
Like so many vegetables from our childhood, they weren’t cooked properly, which resulted in vegetable hatred. But these roasted brussels sprouts are nothing like those soggy, tasteless green bulbs you remember. They’ve got crispy skin, a tender interior, and provide great contrast to sweet apples and nutty pecans.
Paul and I stood at the counter and just picked at this dish with our fingers right off the baking sheet. It never even made it onto serving plates. It’s so delicious!
Tips for crispy roasted brussels sprouts
- Make sure all the sprouts are the same size. This allows them to cook the same.
- Place them onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Vegetables let off moisture as they cook. If they overlap, they’ll steam instead of roast and become soggy.
- Coat the sprouts in extra-virgin olive oil. This helps them get that gorgeous brown char, which also provides flavor.
- Roast at 400 degrees F. High heat is best!
- Toss toward the end of cooking. This allows the brussels to roast evenly and brown on all sides.
- Don’t over-cook them. You want them to be al dente and nicely browned around the edges, not mushy!
How long to roast brussels sprouts
For this recipe, you’ll drizzle the sprouts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper; roast them for 15 minutes, then add in the apples, dried cranberries, and pecans; toss and cook for another 5-10 minutes (depending on your oven) until crisp-tender.
How to Trim Brussels Sprouts
For this recipe, you’ll be trimming the Brussels Sprouts and slicing them in half.
- Using a sharp knife, trim off the bottom of the tough stem end of each Brussels sprout. Then, remove any discolored or damaged leaves, and cut each Brussels sprout in half lengthwise, from tip to trimmed end.
- You can prepare the uncooked brussels sprouts up to a day in advance, and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This roasted Brussels sprouts recipe makes the perfect side dish for so many different recipes. It’s easy enough for a weeknight meal, but lovely enough to serve for a special occasion or holiday dinner!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples, Cranberries, and Pecans
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts , ends trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced apple pieces
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place Brussels sprouts on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and cayenne pepper; toss to coat.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the apples, cranberries, and pecans; place back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes until the Brussels sprouts are crisp-tender and lightly charred.
- Serve right away and enjoy!