Get out your crock pot! These Slow Cooker Honey-Soy Chicken Drumsticks and Thighs are soaked in a honey-soy sauce spiked with orange, ginger, and garlic. So delicious!
What a week! I feel like I aged 10 years. And I have the aching back and gray hairs to prove it.
Baseball, dance, classroom volunteering, school board meeting, pool/landscaping – as if that wasn’t enough – but then Trevor had a field trip. That alone can make a parent age 10 years. Always worth it to see the happiness on his face, but omg. Riding a bus with 100 kids, crossing busy streets, and escorting them all to the bathroom, is downright exhausting. I came home with such a headache.
And was, again, grateful and so proud of myself for having the foresight to know I wouldn’t want to cook dinner that night.
This Slow Cooker Honey-Soy Chicken is another crock pot dish that saved my life.
I don’t have a lot of slow cooker recipes in my catalog because I just find most of them, well…unimpressive. Bland. So when I make one that has great flavor and worth making again, I get so excited. This is one of those!
Can I bake these in the oven instead?
Sure! But I would recommend boneless, skinless chicken thighs for that. Season them well with salt and pepper on both sides, then coat with the sauce. Cook in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 1 hour (or until a thermometer registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit), basting with the sauce half way through to keep them moist.
You’ll love this meal, too! Field trip not required.
Some other Slow Cooker Chicken recipes you might like!
Slow Cooker Honey-Soy Chicken
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds (8 bone-in) chicken pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- cooked white rice, for serving
- Coat a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine honey, orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce, salt, garlic, ginger, vinegar, crushed red pepper, and sesame seeds.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Season chicken on both sides with a little salt and pepper; sauté for about 3 minutes per side, until they have a golden crust. Transfer to the slow cooker along with the sauce mixture.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, basting the tops halfway through if possible, so the skin doesn't dry out.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a bowl.
- Very carefully pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a medium skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the drumsticks and stir to coat. Serve, sprinkled with parsley.
- Serve over cooked white white and enjoy!