These Southwestern Saucers are bite-sized Tex Mex appetizers made in your muffin tin. Super easy, cheesy, and completely delicious! Perfect for lunch or game day!
We’re talking canned goods today. I know a few moms who soak their own beans overnight, make their chicken stock from scratch, and refuse to buy corn from a can. But I’m not one of them. I love the convenience of canned goods, and also the ability to use ingredients all year long, that aren’t in season anymore. And based on the Facebook survey I took, I’m not alone.
If you think you can’t serve up quality, nutritious, homemade meals from canned goods, you’re wrong!
These Southwestern Saucers are a great example and were a huge hit with the family. I, alone, could have eaten
500 all 24.
I served them for lunch, but they would be perfect for a game day appetizer!
Other Mexican-Inspired Recipes we love!
watch the video for southwestern saucers
- 15 ounce can pinto beans , rinsed and rained
- 15 ounce can sweet corn , rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 roma tomatoes , diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend or Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 scallions , minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat 2, 12-cup muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, heat the beans, corn, and salsa over medium-high until warmed through. Remove from heat and stir in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Place tortillas on a cutting board; using a 3-inch cookie cutter or the bottom of an empty 15 ounce can, press firmly enough in a rocking motion to cut through the tortillas. (You should get 4 circles per tortilla, for a total of 24.) With your fingers, press a tortilla circle into each muffin tin (it should be snug.) Fill each tortilla with a heaping tablespoon of the bean mixture, sprinkled with a little cheese and scallions.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until tortillas are crispy and cheese has melted. Wait a minute and then remove from the cups with a small spatula or fork. Serve immediately.