This 3-ingredient skinny banana smoothie recipe is so delicious and takes only minutes to whip up. Made with diet root beer, nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, and frozen banana, it tastes like dessert, but it’s actually low calorie. A great drink for summer or all year round!
I swear, bananas have about a 2-day shelf life for me before I’m unwilling to eat them – they can’t have even a hint of green on them OR a few brown spots – see, 2 day shelf life.
The minute I see those spots, I just slice them up, flash freeze and then transfer to a Ziploc bag. It’s a great way to eliminate waste and reserve them for a later use like in this skinny banana smoothie. (Or just let them get totally black, and then…banana bread!)
Ingredients needed for this Banana Smoothie
You only need 3!
- Diet root beer
- Nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
It tastes like dessert, but it’s actually low calorie. Basically, the best kind of drink.
How To Freeze Bananas
You can use ripe bananas that aren’t frozen, but frozen banana slices make the smoothie thicker and creamier.
To freeze bananas, slice and put on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, stick in the freezer for 45 minutes, then transfer to a freezer safe plastic Ziploc bag and place in the freezer until ready to use.
Make it a dessert drink
If you’re not worried about calories, indulge and make this more decadent.
- Swap out the nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt for vanilla ice cream
- Add in 1-2 tablespoons of homemade chocolate sauce
- Top it off with some homemade whipped cream
Other Smoothies we love!
Skinny Root Beer Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup diet root beer
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1 large banana , sliced and frozen
- Put all the ingredients in a blender (in the order listed) and whirl until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!