Make sure Santa’s Reindeer have some goodies this holiday season! This Reindeer Chow is a sweet and salty mix of chocolate, popcorn, cereal, pretzels, and M&Ms. It’s crazy delicious and so easy to make!
What would Christmas be without festive snack mixes? Perfect for parties, an after dinner treat, munching on while movie watching, or a delicious gift. Put out a big bowl of this Reindeer Chow and watch everyone fight over it! Be warned, it’s crazy addictive.
Reindeer Chow Chex mix is the ultimate holiday treat that just cannot be denied. All sorts of crunchy goodies, red and green candies, coated in smooth melted chocolate. The best sweet and salty combination. Ugh. It’s stupid good.
Reindeer Chow Recipe
All you need are 6 ingredients and 15 minutes prep to make this snack mix recipe. No need to turn on the oven for this one – just make space in the fridge for the mixture to set. So easy! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Stovetop popcorn
- Rice Chex Cereal
- Thin pretzel sticks
- Red and green M&Ms
- White candy melts
- Red and green nonpareils
How to Make Reindeer Chow
To make this Christmas snack mix, you combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and coat it with the melted candy melts. Evenly spread it on a parchment-lined baking sheet and then transfer to the fridge to set. Simply break it into pieces and enjoy. That’s it! (Scroll down for the detailed printable recipe card.)
You end up with the most delicious combination of flavors and textures – crunchy, salty pretzels and popcorn balance out the smooth, sweet chocolate perfectly.
Reindeer Food Variations
This recipe is super versatile if you don’t have the exact ingredients or simply want to adjust it to your tastes. Just keep the ratios the same, so everything gets coated well.
- Swap out the Chex cereal for Cheerios, or use a combination of both.
- Replace some of the popcorn with Bugles corn chips.
- Add in some nuts like peanuts or cashews, if allergies are not a concern.
Storing and Gift Giving
This Christmas Chex Mix makes a good amount, so it’s great for a holiday party or gift giving.
Since this recipe uses candy melts, it can be stored on the counter at room temperature (in an airtight container.) It can also be stored in the fridge – it’s delicious cold! It will keep 1-2 weeks (although it won’t last that long because you’ll be eating it all day long!)
Want to give some as gifts? After it’s solid, break it into pieces and either place portions in parchment-lined metal tins or in cellophane bags with a festive ribbon. Recipients will love it!
Watch it Being Made
Other Christmas Candy Recipes
- Christmas Caramel Popcorn
- Turtles Candy
- See’s Candy Polar Bear Paws
- Saltine Cracker Toffee
- Lumps of Coal Rice Krispie Treats
Reindeer Chow (Christmas Snack Mix)
- 4 cups stovetop popcorn
- 4 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 2 cups thin pretzel sticks , broken into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups red and green M&Ms
- 12 ounces white candy melts
- 1 tablespoon red and green nonpareils
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Add the popcorn, Chex cereal, pretzel pieces, and M&Ms to a very large mixing bowl.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the candy melts according to package directions until completely smooth (but not hot.)
- Drizzle candy melts over the popcorn mixture, then using a spatula, quickly (but gently) stir and fold until all the ingredients are coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined baking sheet, spreading it out in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the nonpareils on top before the chocolate coating hardens.
- Transfer to the refrigerator to completely dry and set, about 1 hour.
- Break into snack-size pieces and serve in a large bow, cute red and green cupcake liners, or package up in cellophane bags for a delicious gift!