No child will mind getting these Lumps of Coal Rice Krispie Treats! Super fun treat to make and to receive for Christmas!
How cute are these lumps of coal rice krispie treats??? I love them.
Even though my kids are now 12 and 10, no longer believing in Santa, they still love fun food for the holidays. Especially when they can help me make it…and even more so when the food is purposefully misshapen, so they can’t screw it up!
Basically you just make a half batch of Rice Krispie Treats recipe that’s on the side of the Rice Krispie cereal box, shape small portions into irregular shapes, dip in melted chocolate, and then sprinkle with Oreo dust.
Ingredients you need for these Lumps of Coal
- Unsalted butter
- Mini marshmallows
- Rice Krispies cereal
- Oreo cookies
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
I can’t imagine any kid would be upset getting this type of coal for Christmas! Easy, yummy, and fun – three of my favorite things!
Other fun desserts for Christmas to make!
- Cream Cheese Mints
- Peppermint Bark Dip
- Peppermint Snowcap Meringue Cookies
- Homemade Heart Marshmallows
Watch the video for Lumps of Coal
Lumps of Coal Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 15 Oreos, cream removed
- 12 ounces (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet; set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add in the marshmallows and stir until melted and gooey. Remove from the heat and pour in the cereal; gently mix to combine until completely combined.
- While the mixture is still warm, form into small irregular lumps. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process the Oreo cookies until finely ground into a powder like texture. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl; microwave on high in 30 second intervals until melted.
- Place a Rice Krispies lump on a fork and dunk in the melted chocolate making sure it’s fully coated on all sides; tap the fork against the bowl to shake off any excess. Transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all lumps are coated.
- Put the baking sheet in the refrigerator for a few minutes so that the chocolate sets a little (but doesn’t harden.)
- Roll lumps in the ground Oreo cookies.
- Transfer to a clean piece of parchment paper to set completely and enjoy!