This overnight French Toast Casserole has wonderful warm flavors like pumpkin and cinnamon. Enjoy it in the fall or anytime of year. Preparing it the night before makes breakfast or brunch the next morning easy-peasy!
Our overnight Brioche French Toast Casserole is another favorite – made with amaretto liquor and a blackberry sauce. It’s amazing!
Even though I’m a big advocate on keeping canned pumpkin in your pantry all year long, there’s no argument that the Fall season pretty much demands it. It’s when you can sneak pumpkin puree into pretty much everything and nobody will question it. I’m looking at you pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin butterscotch cookies, and pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Can I get a fist bump from all my fellow pumpkin lovers??
Today, this French Toast Casserole takes center stage and you guessed it, it’s got pumpkin in it. It’s so good!! Bonus, it can be prepped the night before and then just pop it in the oven the next morning. Lifesaver during the holidays, for sure.
Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe
Here’s a brief rundown of what you’ll need:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Bread: French bread, Brioche, or Challah are all great! I recommend French bread if you’ll be letting this soak overnight.
- Custard: Eggs, whole milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice.
- Streusel topping: Brown sugar, chopped pecans, and cinnamon.
How to Make French Toast Casserole
This casserole is so easy to make!
(Scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details and don’t miss the video below.)
- You’ll start by cubing the bread and transferring it to a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Whisk together the ingredient for the custard and slowly pour it over the bread, making sure it’s all evenly coated.
- Let it soak for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Mix together the streusel ingredients and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake the casserole until golden brown and no longer wet.
- Serve with some maple syrup and honey – delicious!
Tips for Success
- Use the right bread: French bread, Brioche, or Challah are ideal for this casserole. White bread is so soft and will usually break down too much and be soggy. Sourdough has too strong a flavor.
- Cut the bread into cubes: Make sure the cubes of bread are bite-sized and uniform.
- Buy pure pumpkin puree: You just need pumpkin puree from a can, not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling.
- Let it soak: Once you pour the custard over the bread, it needs to soak for a minimum of 4 hours to allow the bread to properly soften. Storing in the fridge overnight is the best to absorb all the great flavors.
How to Store
Allow casserole to cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
Can I freeze French toast casserole? Yep! I usually cut any cooled leftovers into individual portions, so I can just grab and defrost what I need. Leftovers will keep in the freezer for up to 1 month properly stored. Wrap in plastic wrap, cover with foil, and freeze. Thaw in the fridge overnight, remove the plastic wrap and foil before heating up.
More Overnight Breakfast Casseroles:
French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf French bread , cut into cubes (about 10 cups)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Thoroughly coat a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Evenly spread the bread cubes in the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined. Pour over bread and push down with a spoon or your hands until it’s all soaked and mostly covered. Cover with plastic wrap or lid and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, uncover the pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, nuts, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the bread mixture and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until golden brown and no longer wet.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup or honey.