Classic Pico de Gallo gets a fun makeover with dill pickles in this Pickle de Gallo recipe! It comes together in just minutes and is so fresh, healthy, and low calorie. Serve as a dip with tortilla chips, or relish for hot dogs and grilled chicken. If you love traditional pico de gallo and also dill pickles, you will love this salsa.
More of traditionalist? Don’t miss our authentic Pico de Gallo.
Pickle de Gallo is a fresh, zesty, and chunky type of dip and topping that is made from dill pickles, sweet onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, and pickle juice. It’s so simple and yet gives such a great boost of flavor to grilled vegetables, chicken, and hot dogs, putting it on the map as an awesome condiment.
Pickle de Gallo Recipe
Because this salsa only has a few ingredients, be sure to use the freshest available.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Dill Pickles: Wouldn’t be Pickle de Gallo without pickles! They’re the star here.
- Onion: Sweet onion is preferred, for its milder flavor when raw. You could also use red onion.
- Bell Pepper: We use red bell pepper for color and flavor. Orange would be fine, but I would avoid green, since they’re bitter.
- Jalapeño peppers: These peppers provide subtle heat. (Remove the ribs and seeds.)
- Garlic: For aromatics and flavor.
- Pickle juice: Pickle juice acts as a brine, giving the salsa flavor and also a little moisture.
- Salt: Just a touch, so the salsa isn’t bland. It elevates all the other flavors.
How to Make Pickle de Gallo
- Get a uniform dice: Dice all the vegetables up very small and uniform so the flavors are evenly distributed throughout the salsa, making every bite delicious.
- Play with the ratios: While I wouldn’t eliminate any of the ingredients in this recipe, the amounts can definitely be adjusted to suit your taste. Let it all sit for a bit first though, before tweaking, so you can taste the true flavors.
- Mix and enjoy: You simply mix everything together and use as desired.
How to Store Pickle de Gallo
Pickle de Gallo can be served right away or stored (covered) in the fridge for later. It’s best enjoyed at room temperature, though, so if you won’t be eating it right away, let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes or so before serving. Use a slotted spoon to avoid accumulated juices on the bottom of the bowl. Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and eaten within 4 days.
Other Condiments We Love
Pickle de Gallo
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced dill pickles
- 1 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 large jalapeño pepper , ribs and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic , very finely minced
- 3 tablespoons dill pickle juice (from the jar of pickles)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt , plus more to taste
- Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Enjoy as a dip/salsa with tortilla chips or relish on a hot dog or grilled chicken!
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for later.