This quick and easy Pepper Steak recipe is a classic Chinese-American stir fry dish which can be made at home in under 30 minutes. A crazy simple and flavorful weeknight dinner!
This quick and easy Pepper Steak recipe is another dinner that’s in constant rotation at my house. Incredibly simple and delicious, we love it so much.
What is pepper steak? The name of this dish might imply that a specific type of beef is used, but pepper steak isn’t an actual type of meat – it’s just the name of the dish because it contains peppers and steak. It’s made with tender cubes of beef, a fantastic thickened Asian sauce, served over rice, and in 25 minutes. I mean, of course I love it!
Pepper Steak Recipe Ingredients
You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this pepper steak recipe.
Beef – Pepper Steak is usually made with top round beef steak, but I use sirloin.
Bell Pepper – green, red, yellow, or orange (or a combination!)
Onion – you can use red onion or sweet onion.
Cherry Tomatoes – regular, grape, or yellow pear all work.
Sauce – soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, salt, pepper, and cornstarch to thicken it.
Rice and Scallions – for serving (simply skip the rice or serve over cauliflower rice for a low carb meal.)
Cut of Beef for Pepper Steak
This recipe can be made with sirloin, flank steak, or top round. And since it doesn’t matter, I usually go with sirloin, since it tends to be the least expensive.
There are also different methods to cutting the beef – some slice it into thin strips, while others cut it into cubes. Either way, it’s important to cut against the grain (not in the same direction), so the beef is tender.
How to Make Pepper Steak
It couldn’t be easier to make Pepper Steak and it comes together in minutes! Here’s the brief rundown (scroll below for the detailed printable.)
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients.
- Warm some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the sirloin; cook until well brown. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining sirloin.
- Add some more oil to the skillet. Stir in the vegetables and cook until tender and a bit charred.
- Add beef, and any accumulated juices, back to the skillet along with the cherry tomatoes and sauce mixture.
- Cook until heated through and sauce is bubbly and thickened.
- Serve over hot cooked white rice and enjoy!
Watch It Being Made
Other Stir Fry Recipes we love!
My family absolutely loves this dish and you will, too! Great for busy weeknights. So, pretty much every night!
Quick and Easy Pepper Steak
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil , divided
- 1 pound top sirloin beef , excess fat removed, cut against the grain, into 1-inch bite-sized pieces
- 1 small red onion , cut into 1-inch squares (1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper , cut into 1-inch squares (1 cup)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- Cooked white rice, for serving (omit for a low carb meal)
- Diced scallions, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce and cornstarch until no lumps remain. Whisk in the brown sugar, ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Warm 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the sirloin; cook until well brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining sirloin.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring until vegetables soften and are a bit charred, about 3 minutes.
- Add beef, and any accumulated juices, back to the skillet along with the cherry tomatoes and soy sauce mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until heated through and sauce is bubbly and thickened, but tomatoes still have form, about 3 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked white rice, sprinkled with some diced scallions on top.