This quick and easy Pepper Steak Stir Fry recipe is a classic Chinese American dish which can be made at home in under 30 minutes!
This Quick and Easy Pepper Steak Stir Fry recipe is another dinner that’s in constant rotation at my house. So so delicious.
It’s made with tender cubes of beef, a fantastic thickened Asian sauce, served over rice, and in 25 minutes. I mean, of course I love it!
You only need a handful of ingredients for this pepper steak stir fry
Beef – Pepper Steak is usually made with top round beef steak, but I use sirloin.
Bell Pepper – green, red, yellow, or orange (or a combination!)
Onion – you can use red onion or sweet onion.
Cherry Tomatoes – regular, grape, or yellow pear all work.
Sauce – soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, salt, pepper, and cornstarch to thicken it.
Rice and Scallions – for serving.
Does the cut of beef matter for this pepper steak?
This recipe can be made with sirloin, flank steak, or top round. And since it doesn’t matter, I usually go with sirloin, since it tends to be the least expensive.
There are also different methods to cutting the beef – some slice it into thin strips, while others cut it into cubes. Either way, it’s important to cut against the grain (not in the same direction), so the beef is tender.
My family absolutely loves this dish and you will, too! Great for busy weeknights. So, pretty much every night!
Other Stir Fry Recipes we love!
Pepper Steak Stir Fry
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil , divided
- 1 pound top sirloin beef , excess fat removed, cut against the grain, into 1-inch bite-sized pieces
- 1 small red onion , cut into 1-inch squares (1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper , cut into 1-inch squares (1 cup)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Diced scallions, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Warm 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the sirloin; cook until well brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining sirloin.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring until vegetables soften and are a bit charred, about 3 minutes.
- Add beef, and any accumulated juices, back to the skillet along with the cherry tomatoes and soy sauce mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until heated through and sauce is bubbly and thickened, but tomatoes still have form, about 3 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked white rice, sprinkled with some diced scallions on top.