Sheet Pan Oven Grilled Cheese turns a childhood classic into lunch for a crowd in just 20 minutes with 3 simple ingredients. All you need is bread, cheese, and butter.
Easy Oven Baked Grilled Cheese
Loved by kids and adults alike, grilled cheese sandwiches are always a great, easy go-to for lunch or a light dinner. And with this oven grilled cheese recipe, making homemade grilled cheese for a crowd has never been easier. With just 20 minutes, you can have 6 sandwiches ready to enjoy. Perfect for game day or parties.
Feel free to experiment with different bread and cheese until you find the combination you love. There are endless possibilities with making grilled cheese and it’s a great way to use up a loaf of bread in a pinch.
You can make this oven grilled cheese for a crowd with just 3 ingredients.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Bread – I used white sandwich bread. See below for other options.
- Butter – For spreading on the outside of the bread. Be sure it’s softened so you can spread it easily.
- Cheese – See below for suggestions.
Most bread choices work for this recipe. I would avoid breakfast-style bread like cinnamon-raisin. Some of my favorite bread choices are white bread, wheat, sourdough, brioche, nine-grain, and rye.
Cheddar cheese, provolone cheese, American cheese, Swiss cheese, and pepper jack are my favorites for making oven grilled cheese. If possible, have them freshly sliced for the best flavor and melting ability.
How to Make Oven Grilled Cheese
Making lunch for a crowd has never been this easy. Just a few simple steps to preparing this sheet pan grilled cheese recipe.
(Don’t miss the detailed printable recipe card below.)
- Preheat the baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 425F and place the sheet pan in the oven to preheat it.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place three slices of cheese on the unbuttered side of half the bread slices. Top with another bread slice, butter side up.
- Bake. Place the grilled cheese sandwiches on the heated sheet pan. Bake for 5 minutes, then flip and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes, depending on how brown you want the bread.
Tips & Variations
Here are a few tips for making sheet pan grilled cheese, plus variation ideas.
- Some cheese will inevitably leak out of the sandwich and melt onto the sheet pan. If you remove the sandwich while they’re still warm, the cheese should come right off with the sandwich. If you’re worried about ruining your pan, you can always lay down a sheet of parchment paper before putting down the sandwiches, but they won’t get as golden brown.
- This can be made in a toaster oven, if needed. You will need to work in batches or reduce the recipe to how many sandwiches you would like.
- Use shredded cheese instead. If you like, you can use shredded cheese. You will need about 1/2 cup per sandwich. Note that you’ll want freshly shredded, not prepackaged cheese.
- Add some fillings. Feel free to add a little something extra to your sandwiches, like slices of ham or turkey, crumbled cooked bacon, or tomato slices.
These grilled cheese sandwiches make a quick and easy lunch. You can just serve them as-is or maybe with some apple slices for extra nutrition. But nothing goes as well with grilled cheese as tomato soup. It’s one combination that will never get old!
Make Ahead and Proper Storage
- Can These Be Prepared In Advance? If you would like to make these ahead of time, I would get the assembled sandwiches onto the sheet pan but bake them right before serving so they will be warm and crispy.
- Storing leftovers. Oven grilled cheese is best enjoyed hot from the oven. However, if you do end up with a leftover sandwich or two, you can store it in the fridge for a day or two wrapped in plastic wrap or in a Ziploc bag.
- Reheat. Reheat in the air fryer or oven until heated through, covering with foil if necessary to prevent burning.
More Grilled Cheese Recipes:
- Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Muenster Grilled Cheese
- Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
- Turkey Brie Grilled Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese (air fryer)
Sheet Pan Oven Grilled Cheese
- 12 slices white sandwich bread (see note below)
- 1/2 cup butter , softened and divided
- 18 slices cheese (see note below)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place a sheet pan into the oven to preheat it.
- Butter one side of the slices of bread.
- Put three slices of the cheese onto the unbuttered side of 6 slices of bread. Top the cheese with another slice of bread with the butter side up.
- Place the grilled cheese onto the preheated sheet pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes, flip the sandwiches over and bake for another 5-7 minutes until the bread is golden brown and cheese is melty.