This homemade Sweet Chili Sauce is garlicky, tangy, sweet, and spicy. Perfect for dipping spring rolls, egg rolls, and dumplings into. Or serve it with grilled meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetables!
My long time friend, Rebecca – from scratch everything extraordinaire – just released the Not Your Mama’s Canning Book. And it’s fabulous. The second I spotted this Sweet Chili Sauce, it was a done deal. No brainer. Game over.
What is Sweet Chili Sauce?
Sweet chili sauce is a popular Asian condiment. You’ve seen it in grocery stores, right? It’s slightly thick, but still pourable.
Is sweet chili sauce spicy? It’s got a heat, but it’s not what I would consider spicy. It’s more garlicky, tangy, and sweet, with a little kick. Delicious!
What do you use Sweet Chili Sauce for?
It’s a versatile condiment that can be used in so many ways.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for egg rolls, spring rolls, and dumplings.
- Spread some on veggie burgers or other sandwiches.
- Mix it into stir-fries.
- Pairs great with Korean pork chops or baked salmon.
- Stirred into salad dressings.
- Drizzle some on Asian chicken wraps.
- Top a block of cream cheese with it and serve as an appetizer with crackers.
Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
*Full details are below in the easy printable recipe card
- Rice wine vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh red jalapeño , red Fresno, or red serrano peppers
- Clear Jel canning starch
How to Make Sweet Chili Sauce
Making this condiment is actually quite easy, by combining all the ingredients in a saucepan, boiling, adding canning starch to thicken, and then simmering for a bit.
We’re canning this particular recipe, where the sauce is scooped into 8 ounce jars and placed in a canner full of boiling water to cover, where it processes for 10 minutes. Don’t have a canner? No worries! You can use a lidded stock pot instead.
- Clear Jel is not the same thing as Sure Jel! Make sure you are using Clear Jel or ThermFlo canning starch.
- Don’t have a canner? That’s ok! Just use a large lidded stock pot and make sure the boiling water covers the jars by 2 inches. Tip! Line the bottom of your pot with a clean dishrag so it reduces the rattling on the metal bottom.
- Have an extra jar or two at the ready. Canning can be finicky sometimes, often resulting in more quantity than expected.
How To Store Sweet Chili Sauce
Once jars are wiped clean, sealed, and labeled, this particular recipe can be stored in a dry, dark place for up to 6 months. Once opened, the sauce will keep for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Other Homemade Condiments We Love!
Homemade Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 1/3 cups water , divided
- 2 cups rice wine vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 fresh red jalapeño , red Fresno, or red serrano peppers, stems removed, minced
- 6 cloves garlic , peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons Clear Jel canning starch
- In a medium-sized saucepan, stir together 2 cups of the water, the rice wine vinegar, sugar, salt, peppers, and garlic; bring mixture to a boil. Boil 5 minutes.
- While the sauce is boiling, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup of water with the canning starch.
- While stirring the sauce mixture vigorously, pour the canning starch mixture into the pan; keep stirring and bring the mixture back to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Use a ladle to scoop the sauce into 8 ounce glass jars, leaving a 1/4-inch clearance from the top. Use a chopstick to remove any air bubbles and then adjust the level with additional sauce if needed.
- Moisten a paper towel with some vinegar and wipe the rims of the jars clean. Place lids on the jars and fasten appropriately.
- Using nonslip tongs, transfer the jars to a canner full of boiling water that covers the jars by 2 inches. Put the lid of the canner in place, return water to a boil and process for 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the jars to a wire cooling rack and allow them to cool completely, preferably overnight.
- Wipe jars clean, label, and store in a dark place for up to 1 year. Once opened, the sauce will keep for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.