Using boxed cake, orange jello, and chocolate frosting, it’s almost scary how easy this Halloween Poke Cake recipe is. It’s moist, delicious, and spooktacular!
If you love the flavor combination of orange and chocolate, you’ll love this Halloween Jello poke cake recipe. It sort of tastes like orange sherbet!
I’m all for from-scratch cakes, but there’s no shame in making a cake using store-bought products! This poke cake is moist, delicious, and so easy. It’s the perfect addition to any Halloween party you’re hosting or if you need to bring something along to a potluck.
Halloween Poke Cake Ingredients
- Fudge Marble Cake
- club soda
- vegetable oil
- orange gelatin
- boiling water
- cold water
- whipped chocolate frosting
Follow the package directions for baking your boxed cake. If yours calls for different ingredients, then use those instead.
How To Make This Jello Poke Cake Recipe
Using store-bought products, this cake is super simple. Here’s a quick summary. (Scroll down for the complete printable recipe.)
- Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan and prepare the cake according to package directions. Cool on wire rack.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water immediately afterward before the gelatin can harden.
- Poke holes in the cake and slowly pour the gelatin over the top.
- Refrigerate for a few hours and then frost.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
This poke cake is versatile, too if you have trouble finding the ingredients or want to make it for a different holiday.
- To cut back on the sugar, you can use sugar-free orange jello.
- The club soda helps the cake be nice and fluffy, but you can use water instead, if you prefer.
- Swap out the orange jello for a different flavor. Lime or purple jello slime or red blood are fun!
- Can’t find marbled cake mix? Use yellow or white cake mix instead and add in a little cocoa powder to half of it.
- Top it with some candy corns.
- Want a Christmas version? Use white cake, strawberry or green jello, and white icing.
How To Store Poke Cake
Poke cake will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days and can be frozen in a tightly sealed container for up to a month. Thaw it in the fridge overnight before serving.
Other Halloween Recipes
This fun Halloween Poke Cake is kid-friendly and will be sure to delight your favorite trick-or-treaters on Halloween!
Halloween Poke Cake
- 16 ounce box Fudge Marble Cake (I used Duncan Hines)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup club soda
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 6 ounce package orange gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 12 ounce container whipped chocolate frosting
- Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan and prepare the cake according to package directions (substituting the water with the club soda.) Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water immediately afterward before the gelatin can harden.
- Using the handle of a small wooden spoon or a straw, poke holes in the cake 2 inches apart. Slowly pour the gelatin over the top. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Spread frosting over the cake; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!