Made with hot chocolate, ice cream, creme de cacao liqueur, and Kahlúa, this Dirty Snowman drink is an adult hot chocolate so rich and decadent that it’s the ultimate dessert drink, too!
If you’re looking for another decadent boozy winter drink, don’t miss our hot buttered rum – it tastes like a warm apple fritter donut! Or try our brandy alexander milkshake. Amazing.
A Decadent Dessert Drink
How many ways can you serve hot chocolate? We can think of a few! Slow cooker hot chocolate, white hot chocolate, frozen hot chocolate – and today we’re sharing our favorite adult hot chocolate!
This Dirty Snowman drink isn’t your basic adult hot chocolate. This recipe takes your favorite hot chocolate mix and adds a few types of alcohol along with some ice cream, turning it into a decadent dessert drink. It’s rich, creamy and so full of chocolatey goodness that you’ll probably need a spoon to finish it.
What is a Dirty Snowman Cocktail?
A Dirty Snowman Cocktail is a boozy, decadent adult hot chocolate with various types of liquor and liqueurs, depending on your taste, and toppings like whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and sprinkles. It’s a 2-in-1 combo of a delicious cocktail and dessert. It even has a scoop of ice cream in it!
What You’ll Need
This adult hot chocolate includes two types of liquor, lots of chocolate, and your favorite sundae toppings.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Chocolate syrup – The cocktail glass is dipped in chocolate syrup for a fancy touch.
- Chocolate sprinkles – Sprinkles are used to garnish the rim of the glass as well as a topping.
- Vanilla ice cream – Or use a scoop of chocolate ice cream for extreme chocolate flavor.
- Kahlua – You can also use RumChata or Bailey’s.
- Dark creme de cacao liqueur – Adds a little boozy, rich chocolate taste to the cocktail.
- Hot chocolate – You can use a store bought packet of hot chocolate mix or some creamy homemade hot chocolate for ultra decadence.
- Garnishes – Whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, chocolate sprinkles, chocolate sauce or any other topping you’d like to use can be added on top of the drink.
Use a quality hot chocolate
How to Make a Dirty Snowman
Preparing one of these dessert cocktails takes just a few minutes. Here’s a summary.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for complete details.)
- Garnish the mug. Place chocolate sauce on a small plate then turn the mug upside down to dip the rim in the chocolate sauce. Then dip the rim in the chocolate sprinkles.
- Assemble the cocktail. Add a scoop of ice cream to the mug followed by the Kahlua and creme de cacao. Top with prepared hot chocolate.
- Add the toppings. Top with whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, chocolate sprinkles, and any other toppings you’d like. Serve immediately with a spoon or straw.
Prepare drink just before serving
There’s no end to the different variations you can make on this dirty snowman cocktail!
- Switch up the alcohol. You could really mix things up and use your favorite liquors in this drink – rum, coconut rum, or Bailey’s would all be yummy. A chocolate vodka could also work.
- Make a peppermint hot chocolate cocktail. If you love peppermint, add a minty twist to this Dirty Snowman by adding peppermint schnapps and crushed candy canes on top.
- Make it EXTRA chocolate-y. If you’re a major chocolate lover, you can take it up a notch by using chocolate vodka as the liquor and chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla. You can also add some chocolate sauce and mini chocolate chips to the top.
- Use white chocolate. If you’re a fan of white hot chocolate, you can use that in this drink too, along with some white chocolate chips.
- Make it a stronger drink. This is a pretty rich drink. While the liquor taste is present, it’s not overpowering so it definitely leaves room for adding an extra shot or two of your preferred liquor. The hot chocolate and ice cream are heavy and rich enough to support a stronger drink without it being overpowering.
- Make it kid-friendly. If you want to serve this hot chocolate dessert to the whole family, simply leave out the liqueur and Kahlua for the kids.
Can I Make This for A Group?
Yes, you can easily make this for a group. Each drink will need to be assembled separately but you can combine the liqueurs and hot chocolate together in larger quantities. Then pour over the scoops of ice cream in the glasses.
To make things easier, you can also prepare the glasses with the chocolate syrup and sprinkles in advance – just keep them in a cool place so the syrup doesn’t melt and drip down the sides.
More Winter Cocktails:
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles
- 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream (1 large scoop)
- 1/4 cup Kahlua (or RumChata or Bailey's)
- 1 tablespoon dark creme de cacao liqueur
- 1 cup hot chocolate
- Garnish: whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, chocolate sprinkles and/or chocolate syrup
- Place chocolate syrup on a small plate. Turn glass mug upside down and dip the rim in the chocolate syrup.
- Dip the syrup-coated rim into a shallow tray of chocolate sprinkles until it is coated.
- Place ice cream into a mug.
- Add Kahlua and creme de cacao to the mug.
- Pour prepared hot chocolate over the ice cream and liquor.
- Top with homemade whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, and chocolate sprinkles.
- Serve immediately with a spoon and/or straw.