This Chickpea Salad is a ridiculously easy and healthy side salad that requires no cooking, comes together in 15 minutes, and for under $5.00!
It’s so hard to believe that once upon a crazy time I didn’t like chickpeas, because now my pantry is stocked with them. They’re great used in salads and soups. Roast them for a snack, or even put them in cookies! And they are 100% the star in a Chickpea Salad.
What are Chickpeas?
Chickpeas are legumes and part of the pea family. They are round and tender, with a wonderful nutty flavor. Buy them canned and simply drain and rinse, they are incredibly inexpensive and such a versatile food. P.s. Chickpeas and Garbanzo beans are the same thing – just named differently depending on whether you’re in the US or Europe.
Are Chickpeas Healthy?
Yes! They are so healthy and good for you, and a perfect way to add a plant-based protein to salads and soups. Chickpeas are:
- High in protein and fiber.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Good for weight loss because they keep you full longer.
- Help control blood sugar (due to the starch levels, which digest slowly.)
- This chickpea salad is gluten free, dairy free, and even vegan, accommodating all kinds of diets.
Chickpea Salad Recipe
You’ll love this simple recipe with its brilliant flavors, and fresh ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
(Scroll below for the complete printable recipe and measurements.)
- Chickpeas: We use canned chickpeas for convenience. Make sure to drain and rinse them, to avoid excess sodium.
- Red Onion: Raw red onion is perfect for salads because of their mild flavor. We also love the pop of purple color.
- Garlic: For aromatics and zingy flavor. Use fresh.
- Lime juice: Fresh lime juice adds a bright citrusy flavor.
- Olive Oil: This is the base of the dressing. Use extra virgin and a high quality brand.
- Parsley: Fresh herbs adds a critical flavor in this salad. We prefer parsley, but you could also use cilantro.
- Seasonings: Cumin, cayenne, and salt are the perfect trio of seasonings for this salad.
We make this salad super simple with just chickpeas, onion, herbs, garlic, and a vinaigrette, but you can absolutely add in vegetables to make it more hearty. Keep in mind when adding a lot more ingredients, you will most likely need to double the dressing. Try adding:
- Bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Kalamata olives
- Cooked couscous
- Feta cheese
How to Make Chickpea Salad
Our Chickpea salad could not be easier to make – there’s no cooking required and it comes together in 15 minutes tops! Simply drain and rinse the chickpeas, chopped up the fresh vegetables, make the dressing, and toss to coat. We recommend letting it chill in the fridge for a few hours before serving so the flavors can meld. This recipe is so great served as a side that won’t weigh you down, or to have on hand for a late afternoon craving.
Make Ahead and Storing Leftovers
How long does Chickpea Salad last? This recipe should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and will keep up to 3 days.
What Goes with Chickpea Salad?
Honestly, it’s so good right out of the bowl! But this salad pairs well with just about anything. Some suggestions include Grilled Chicken, Air Fryer Salmon, and Cuban Pork. You could also mix it up with some tuna fish and serve it as lettuce wraps, or mash it up and spread it on avocado toast. Yummy!
Chickpea Salad Video
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 medium limes , juiced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion , finely diced
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 3 cans (15 ounce each) chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, lime juice, cumin, salt, and cayenne.
- Add the onion, parsley, and chickpeas; stir gently to combine.
- Serve right away or ideally refrigerate for a few hours. The flavors get stronger the longer they have to meld.