This Crispy Corn Flake Oven Baked Chicken is super easy needing only a few pantry staples, and resulting in tender chicken with a crunchy semi-sweet corn flake coating.
This is a tricky time of year. Do you swap out those shorts and sleeveless tops for pants and a shawl? Do you deflate the blow-up pool and cover the patio furniture? Do you start looking through all your cookbooks for soups, stews, and casserole recipes?
Let me rephrase that. This is a tricky time of year if you live in Northern California. Because while most of the country seems to be cooling off, it’s 101 degrees where I am. The last thing on my mind is hot soup.
But a great chicken dish works anytime of year! This Crispy Corn Flake Oven Baked Chicken fits the bill.
You only need a few kitchen staples for this oven baked chicken recipe
- corn flake cereal
- evaporated milk
- seasoned salt
What is seasoned salt
Seasoned salt usually consists of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, dried parsley, and dried oregano. I have a pre-mixed blend by McCormick, but you can make your own if you want.
Then you just need 10-15 minutes to get this chicken in the oven.
The chicken, evaporated milk, and some seasoned salt all go into a resealable plastic bag (even better if you let this marinate overnight!)…
Then the chicken pieces get coated with a mixture of corn flake crumbs and some more seasoned salt…
…pressing down so the mixture sticks to the chicken skin
…then into the oven for an hour. Easy!
I tend to coat everything in Panko bread crumbs, but I absolutely love this corn flake crust, too. They are so crunchy, with a slight sweetness. I make my own by buying corn flakes and pulsing in the food processor, but Kellogg’s sells them pre-crumbled, usually found in the grocery aisle where all the other bread crumbs are.
what to serve with this dish
- Creamy Cornbread Casserole
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Roasted Parmesan Creamed Onions
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad
other baked chicken recipes we love
We love fried chicken so much, but I hate frying food if I don’t have to. This Corn Flake Oven Baked Chicken is a fantastic alternative that still delivers that nice juicy tender chicken and a crispy skin!
How To Make This Oven Baked Chicken Recipe
Crispy Corn Flake Oven Baked Chicken
- 8 pieces chicken (about 3 pounds, legs or thighs, or combo of both) , skin on, rinsed and dried
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 3 teaspoons seasoned salt* , divided
- 1 1/4 cup corn flake crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a shallow baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place chicken, evaporated milk, and 2 teaspoons of seasoned salt in a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag. Seal and toss to coat.
- In a shallow bowl, combine corn flake crumbs and remaining teaspoon seasoned salt.
- Remove chicken pieces from the evaporated milk one at a time and place in the corn flake crumbs mixture, pressing down on both sides so they stick. (Discard the milk.)
- Transfer chicken pieces to the prepared baking dish in a single layer, skin side up. Drizzle with the butter.
- Bake for 1 hour or until an internal temperature reaches 165° F, the chicken is no longer pink, and juices run clear. (Do not cover pan or turn chicken while baking.)
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite roasted vegetable or mashed potatoes and enjoy!
- Seasoned salt usually consists of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, dried parsley, and dried oregano. I have a pre-mixed blend by McCormick, but you can make your own if you want.
- The chicken is even more tender and flavorful if you marinate it in the evaporated milk and seasoning salt overnight.
*this post contains affiliate links