This Chocolate Eclair Cake tastes like the best combination of Boston cream pie and a chocolate eclair. Bonus, this eclair dessert is no-bake, super easy to make, and only requires 5 simple ingredients!
And don’t miss our Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes – a classic combination in miniature form.
Easy No Bake Chocolate Eclair Cake
This chocolate eclair cake takes all the best parts of an eclair – aka the filling and chocolate ganache – and turns it into an easy-to-make no-bake dessert. The filling is made with Cool Whip and pudding, so it’s not exactly like your typical eclair filling, but it’s so good. I like to think of this eclair dessert as Boston cream pie meets chocolate eclair.
And you won’t believe how ridiculously easy it is to prepare – you need just 15 minutes and 5 ingredients! While this no bake eclair cake is quick and easy to prepare, it does need at least 6 hours to set up properly. I recommend making it the night before you plan to serve it.
I love to whip this one up for holidays, summer potlucks and gatherings, since it takes virtually no time but it looks and tastes like you labored over it forever. Everyone LOVES it.
You’ll need just 5 easy to find ingredients to make this eclair cake.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Instant vanilla pudding – Vanilla or French vanilla pudding can be used. Just makes sure it’s INSTANT. The “cook and serve” pudding will not work in this recipe.
- Whole milk – I would avoid skim milk as it can make the filling too thin.
- Cool Whip – Gives the filling a light and fluffy texture.
- Graham crackers – Provides the “crust” layer of this eclair cake.
- Chocolate frosting – Make our chocolate frosting recipe, grab your favorite container at the store, or see the notes below on making homemade ganache.
Here are a few easy variations for this chocolate eclair dessert, if you want to adjust the flavor a bit.
- Can I make this dessert healthier? For a lightened up version, use fat-free Cool Whip, sugar-free pudding mix, and just a thin layer of frosting on top.
- Use flavored graham crackers. Try the recipe using cinnamon or chocolate graham crackers.
- Switch up the pudding. Instead of 2 layers of vanilla pudding, try making the recipe with one layer of vanilla pudding and one layer of white chocolate or cheesecake pudding.
How to Make This Chocolate Eclair Cake
The prep time to make this delightful no bake dessert is just 15 minutes. Quick and easy, it makes a great treat for summer picnics and more.
(Scroll down to the printable recipe card for all the details and don’t miss the video below.)
- Make the filling. Whisk together the instant pudding and milk, then fold in the whipped topping until well combined.
- Layer with the graham crackers. Place a layer of graham crackers in the bottom of the casserole dish. Gently spread half of the pudding mixture over the top. Add another layer of graham crackers, followed by the remaining pudding mixture, and a third layer of graham crackers.
- Chill. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the frosting. Remove the foil wrap from the container of frosting. Microwave for 15 seconds, stir, and microwave for an additional 10 seconds just to loosen. Stir well. Pour over the chilled eclair cake and spread in an even layer.
- Chill. Cover with plastic again and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Ganache
If you don’t like store-bought frosting, make your own chocolate ganache topping for your eclair cake. You’ll need:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons milk (warmed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Simply combine the ingredients until smooth and creamy. For a thicker ganache, add more powdered sugar. For a thinner ganache, add an additional teaspoon or two of milk.
Video: Chocolate Eclair Dessert
- Can I Make This Eclair Dessert In Advance? Yes – in fact, you need to! While you can let it chill for as little as 6 hours, I highly recommend preparing it the night before. The longer it sits, the softer the graham crackers will become, and the better taste/texture, in my opinion.
- Refrigerate. Keep your chocolate eclair dessert covered with plastic and store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Freezer. I do not recommend freezing this dessert, as it can become mushy and watery once defrosted.
More No-Bake Lush Desserts:
Chocolate Eclair Cake
- 2 boxes (3.4 ounces each) vanilla INSTANT pudding mix
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces Cool Whip , thawed
- 16 ounces graham crackers
- 16 ounces chocolate frosting
- In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the instant pudding and milk. Fold in the whipped topping, mixing until well combined. Set aside.
- Place a layer of graham crackers in the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish, breaking as needed to cover the entire bottom with a single layer.
- Spoon 1/2 the pudding mixture over the graham crackers and gently spread into an even layer. Top with another layer of graham crackers and then the remainder of the pudding mixture. Add a 3rd and final layer of graham crackers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Uncover frosting and remove foil wrap. Microwave for 15 seconds, give it a good stir, and microwave again for 10 seconds (if necessary) to loosen and make it easier to spread. Stir well. Remove cake from refrigerator and pour frosting over the cake and spread into an even layer.
- Replace the plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight – the longer you give the graham crackers to soften up the better.