This Sheet Pan Chocolate Chip Banana Cake is the best combination of a cake, banana bread, and chocolate chip cookies all rolled into one!
I’m at it again with the bananas. Lol. Because I always have overly ripe bananas! Don’t we all?
This Sheet Pan Chocolate Chip Banana Cake was originally healthy banana bars, but after tweaking that recipe THREE times and none of us liking any of them, I made cake instead. Cake tells you no lies.
It’s basically a cross between chocolate chip cookies, a cake, and banana bread. So, naturally it’s awesome.
My favorite things about this cake
1. The combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar. When is that not good, right?
2. Overly ripe bananas give it that moist texture and awesome naturally sweet banana flavor.
3. Mini chocolate chips sprinkled throughout, so you get a little chocolate in every bite. Plus, aren’t mini chips just the cutest?
4. It’s light enough to eat with a fork, but dense enough to hold and eat with your hands.
5. The portability! Sheet pan cakes are just the best – you don’t need to worry about them being unbalanced or falling over. They’re perfect for any luncheon or potluck.
Or do what I did – I served it for breakfast every day during the week with a fresh banana (that wasn’t speckled with brown – it was a miracle!), so the kids had cake and fruit every morning. Balance, my friends.
other sheet pan recipes we love!
Watch the video to see how it’s made!
Sheet Pan Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 medium)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips , divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 17x11 baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and both sugars together until combined and creamy. Add in the vanilla, eggs, and mashed banana; combine until fully incorporated.
- Beat in the flour, baking soda, and salt until just combined. Mix in 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly onto the prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until golden brown and a tester in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Let cool and cut into squares.