With just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep, this Caramel Apple Dump Cake is a super easy dessert and crazy delicious, too. Serve with some vanilla ice cream for the ultimate fall treat.
Super Easy Apple Dump Cake Recipe
If you’re looking for a crazy delicious dessert this fall with minimal effort, you’ll definitely want to keep this Apple Dump Cake recipe on hand! All you need is some apple pie filling, caramel sauce, cake mix, cinnamon, butter, and 5 minutes of prep.
This dessert recipe is truly one of the easiest. Just dump (a la “dump” cake) the ingredients into the baking dish, pop it in the oven, and dessert is ready in under an hour.
What is a Dump Cake?
Dump cakes are a super easy dessert, typically made with canned fruit topped with cake mix and butter. Despite the name, dump cakes aren’t like regular cakes. There’s no mixing or preparing batter, usually no cleaning or chopping up any items. Just dump the ingredients one at a time, bake, and enjoy!
Just 5 ingredients go into this apple pie filling dump cake.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Apple pie filling – Our star ingredient. Try our homemade apple pie filling or store-bought is fine.
- Caramel sauce – We use our caramel sauce recipe in this dessert. If using store-bought, make sure to get caramel topping and not caramel syrup.
- Yellow cake mix – For the top cake layer.
- Cinnamon – Adds that wonderful warm flavor.
- Salted butter – Helps create the crisp, golden top.
Here are a couple ways to switch up this easy dump cake recipe.
- Try it with a different cake mix. Boxed white cake mix, french vanilla, or spiced cake mix works great in this recipe if you want to swap it for the yellow cake mix. If using spiced cake mix, I would not add the additional cinnamon.
- Add in some nuts. Chopped pecans or walnuts would add another flavor and textural crunch to the dessert.
- Make it boozy. Stir in a 1/4 cup of bourbon or apple whiskey into the apple pie filling.
How to Make an Apple Dump Cake
This dump cake recipe comes together in a few quick steps.
(Scroll down to the printable recipe card for details and measurements, and don’t miss the video below.)
- Add the apple layer. Pour the apple pie filling into the baking dish. Evenly top with the caramel sauce.
- Combine the cake mix with cinnamon. Open the yellow cake mix bag and stir in the cinnamon. Evenly sprinkle the cake mix over the caramel and apple filling.
- Add the butter. Pour the melted butter over the cake mix.
- Bake. Bake at 350F for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Let rest for 15 minutes and enjoy!
Apple dump cake is best served warm or at room temperature, but you do want to let it sit for at least 15 minutes out of the oven before serving. Otherwise, it’s super hot! I love to top my dump cake with vanilla ice cream. Some other yummy toppings are white chocolate chips, whipped cream, or more caramel sauce!
Video: Apple Pie Filling Dump Cake
- Storing leftovers. Leftover apple dump cake can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just cover the baking dish with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container.
- Reheat. To reheat, pop a serving in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, until warm.
- Freeze. You can also freeze your dump cake for up to 3 months. Wrap in plastic wrap and again in foil. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
More Caramel Apple Dessert Recipes:
- Caramel Apple Monkey Bread
- No Bake Caramel Apple Nachos
- No Bake Caramel Apple Grapes
- Caramel Apple Sheet Cake
- Caramel Apple Pie Fudge
Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Pour the apple pie filling into the baking dish and spread in an even layer.
- Evenly top with the caramel sauce.
- Cut the top of the yellow cake mix bag open and add the cinnamon. Stir it around. Evenly sprinkle the cake mix on top of the filling.
- Pour the butter on top and try to moisten as much of the cake mix as possible.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown on top and bubbly. Let sit for 15 minutes and serve with ice cream and more caramel sauce.