Cafeteria Noodles are an old-school popular side dish made with egg noodles, cream of chicken soup, broth, and butter. They’re a dialed up version of butter egg noodles and are just so good! Ready in just 20 minutes.
Stir in some chopped up chicken or serve alongside a perfectly baked chicken breast for more of meal.
Easy Butter Egg Noodles
These Cafeteria Noodles are basically the grown-up version of the egg noodles and butter you likely loved as a kid. They’ve been a classic Southern side for a while and were served in cafeterias (hence the name) but they’ve recently gone viral on TikTok everywhere – because what’s old is new again, and more importantly they’re seriously SO good.
It’s kind of crazy how something as simple as egg noodles with soup and butter can be so tasty. These Cafeteria Noodles are ready in just 20 minutes and while they’re typically considered a side dish, you could definitely get away with calling them a meal.
This easy recipe with egg noodles is made with just 6 simple ingredients.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Chicken broth – I recommend using low sodium broth to control the salt level.
- Better than Bouillon Chicken – Better than bouillon adds loads of flavor to the noodles.
- Dry egg noodles – Medium or wide width are fine, whatever you have on hand.
- Pepper – For flavor.
- Cream of chicken soup – You’ll add the condensed soup directly from the can, without adding water.
- Butter – These are basically fancy butter noodles, after all!
Recipe Variations & Additions
Here are a few ways to customize cafeteria noodles and even turn them into a complete meal!
- Add some protein. Feel free to mix in some seasoned cooked shredded chicken at the end of cooking time for a more hearty dish. Cubed pieces of cooked ham could also be added.
- Add more seasonings. Add in some herbs for more flavor and color or mix in a bit of crushed red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Use different noodles. You can use a different type of noodle, but the cooking time will need to be adjusted based on the type of pasta.
- Switch up the soup. Another type of cream of soup can be used, according to your taste preferences.
- Add some veggies. Peas, steamed broccoli, or even mushrooms would make a good addition and lend some nutrition to this side dish.
How to Make Cafeteria Noodles
This egg noodle recipe comes together in just 20 minutes. Perfect for a quick meal or side dish.
(Don’t miss the detailed printable recipe card below.)
- Cook the noodles. Bring the chicken broth and Better than Bouillon to a boil. Add in the noodles and pepper. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the soup. Stir in the cream of chicken soup. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter. Stir in the butter until melted. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Buttered Egg Noodles
Cafeteria noodles can be enjoyed just as is or be served as a quick meal by adding in some protein or a veggie.
Or you can serve it up as a side dish to some baked chicken breast or air fryer pork chops for a quick and easy dinner. They would also be super tasty with a Salisbury steak meatball sub or some coconut chicken tenders.
- Storing leftovers. Cafeteria noodle leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and will keep for up to 4 days.
- Reheat. You can reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. Note that the noodles will absorb much of the broth as they sit and can become soggy. You also may want to consider adding a bit more broth to thin it out and make it creamy again.
More Easy Creamy Pasta Recipes:
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons better than bouillon chicken
- 12 ounces dry egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup , undiluted (do not add water)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a large pot, combine the chicken broth and better than bouillon; bring to a boil.
- Add in the noodles and pepper. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Allow the mixture to cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir the cream of chicken soup into the noodles. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in the butter until melted. Serve and enjoy.