Juicy and tender, Baked Buffalo Chicken Breasts are cooked in a yogurt and buffalo sauce that infuses every bite with mouth-watering flavor. Swap out your typical buffalo chicken recipes for this healthier yogurt chicken dinner option!
This Baked Greek Yogurt Chicken recipe is further proof that Greek yogurt and chicken breasts are a great pair!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Recipe
Love the flavor of buffalo wings? Then you’ll love these buffalo chicken breasts, plus they’re healthier, making them a great weeknight dinner option.
The chicken breasts are marinated (and then baked) in a sauce made of Greek yogurt and buffalo sauce, which results in not only a great flavor but also juicy, tender chicken breasts. No need to worry about drying them out because the yogurt keeps them extra moist.
Enjoy this buffalo chicken recipe with some vegetables and rice or add it to your sandwiches and wraps. You can even slice it to top a salad.
What You’ll Need
This juicy, tender buffalo chicken breast recipe is made with just 6 ingredients.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Chicken breasts: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are ideal for this recipe.
- Greek yogurt: Yogurt keeps the chicken moist during baking.
- Buffalo sauce: Your favorite homemade or store-bought buffalo sauce.
- Ranch seasoning: I like to use my homemade ranch seasoning for this recipe.
- Garlic powder: For extra flavor.
- Colby Jack cheese: You can substitute this with cheddar, Monterrey Jack, or your other preferred shredded cheese.
How to Make Baked Buffalo Chicken
This buffalo chicken recipe is beyond easy – just marinate and bake! Here’s a brief summary:
(Don’t miss the detailed printable recipe card below.)
- Marinate the chicken. Combine all ingredients except for the cheese in a ziploc plastic bag and shake to coat chicken. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish, top with the shredded cheese, and bake for 35-40 minutes (or an internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached.) Serve and enjoy.
Tips and Suggestions
After trying this recipe a handful of ways, here are a few recommendations:
- Do I have to marinate the chicken? No, but it is recommended. It gives the chicken a little time to absorb some of that buffalo flavor. Even if you don’t have the full 30 minutes, just 10 minutes or so is better than nothing, which will still allow the chicken to absorb some of the flavor.
- Do I need to cover the chicken with foil? I’ve done it both ways, and I prefer it when you cook it uncovered. When you cover it, that cheesy mixture becomes very watering in the pan. If you do notice that the cheese is getting too brown halfway through the cooking, simply tent with foil toward the end of the baking time.
- Can I make this with regular yogurt instead of Greek yogurt? No, unfortunately, regular yogurt will not turn out properly.
Nearly any vegetable or grain will work with this recipe. The key is just to choose sides which have a light flavor that won’t compete with the spicy buffalo sauce. We love roasted carrots or roasted broccoli. These crispy smashed potatoes or zucchini fries would also make great options, as would a caesar salad or our favorite simple side salad.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover chicken breasts should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. They’ll last for up to 3 days. You can enjoy any leftovers cold on salads, sandwiches or wraps, or reheat quickly in the microwave.
More Easy Chicken Recipes:
Baked Buffalo Chicken
- 3 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (not regular yogurt)
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoon Ranch seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- In a large ziploc bag, combine the chicken, yogurt, Buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning, and garlic. Close the bag and shake until the chicken is coated. Transfer to the fridge and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9×9-inch or 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken reaches an international temperature of 165 degrees F. (If you notice the cheese is over-browning halfway through, you can tent with foil toward the end of the baking time.)
- Serve with a roasted vegetable or rice and enjoy!