German Chocolate Butterscotch Gooey Bars – chocolate gooey bars filled with coconut and butterscotch chips. These are moist, chewy, delicious, and so easy!
The food blogging community suffered a tremendous blow last week when we lost one of our heavy hitters.
Joan, from the ever-popular Chocolate, Chocolate and More passed away Wednesday night in her sleep. It was sudden and very unexpected. She was only 49 years old.
We are still in such shock and filled with sadness.
She was one of the really good ones, you guys. Kind, helpful, giving, positive, funny.
It seemed only appropriate to dedicate National Chocolate Day to her.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 box (15 ounce) German chocolate cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut , divided
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
With an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the cake mix, egg, and 1/4 cup of the coconut until combined and a thick dough forms.
Press 2/3 of the cake mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut and the butterscotch chips evenly over the dough. Then drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the top.
Break up the remaining dough and crumble it over the top of the bars. Press lightly to seal.
Bake for about 30 minutes, until slightly browned. Cool completely before cutting.
Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
• You can do this in a 9x13 pan by using the whole can (14 oz) of sweetened condensed milk and 1 cup of butterscotch chips, but the bars will be thinner. Baking time will also need to be adjusted.
• Adapted from my Lemon Gooey Bars