Lemon-Mustard Orzo Salad with Shrimp and Asparagus – this spring salad with orzo, shrimp, and asparagus is filling, but light. Perfect for a potluck or dinner at home.
Asparagus! It’s in season again. Yay!
I’m told that asparagus, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and spinach are all bitter. Either my taste buds are shot, or I must like bitter food. Because I love all of those…asparagus at the top of the list.
There’s an asparagus festival every year about an hour from me. It was this past weekend, actually! But, alas, I missed it again for the 47th time. GAH! *stomps feet*
Since I can’t go there, I’m bringing it to me. Sort of. Ok, not really. But I made a salad!
This spring salad with orzo, shrimp, and asparagus is filling, but light. Perfect for a potluck or dinner at home.
Lemon-Mustard Orzo Salad with Shrimp and Asparagus
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme , chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- salt , pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 bunch asparagus , sliced into 2-inch segments
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- Cook orzo according to package directions, al dente.
- In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, zest, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper; whisk. While whisking, slowly add the 1/2 cup olive oil. Whisk until combined and smooth. (Reserve 2 tablespoons.)
- Drain orzo completely and toss in the large bowl with the vinaigrette. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and reserved vinaigrette; cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle the shrimp with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste; add to the pan. Cook for another 3 minutes until shrimp are pink and opaque, and asparagus is tender. Remove from the heat and toss in the tomatoes.
- Add shrimp mixture to the the orzo and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve hot or cold.