Chicken Wraps with a Thai flair, packed with so much flavor you’ll want to make them every single day. Great for lunch or dinner.
The town that we live in is filled with tons of homes, storage facilities, and typical strip malls. You need to drive a bit to get to any decent restaurant. Then an awesome little bistro opened up down the road from us – it had the best food. The menu was small and changed frequently, but one of the permanent choices was a chicken wrap filled with the best Thai flavors. I would get it almost every single time we dined there. Apparently they weren’t paying their taxes, so not even a year later, they folded. I’m still mad at them. BUT I replicated the wrap as best I could at home, so I can eat it whenever I want. This is it…and it’s amazing.
The Best Chicken Wrap
I can’t say enough about this chicken wrap. Right when I finish eating one, I daydream about the next time I can make it. They’re packed with protein, laced with gorgeous color from different veggies, mixed with sweet and spicy Thai dressing, and wrapped in a flavored tortilla. Every bite makes your taste buds sing! Plus they’re big and so satisfying.
Thai Chicken Wraps – Ingredients
These wraps deliver a circus of flavors from the following ingredients:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Flavored tortillas: I use sundried-tomato basil tortillas, which pair perfectly with the other ingredients. Spinach Herb are also great. You certainly can use plain tortillas, too, but there won’t be as much flavor, obviously. Just make sure they are burrito-sized.
- Chicken: Grilled or baked seasoned chicken breast. You can also use rotisserie chicken.
- Red onion: We love the slightly peppery, but mild flavor.
- Baby spinach: One of our favorite leafy greens, loaded with nutrients and antioxidants.
- Pineapple: Pineapples are one of the most popular fruits in Thai culture! We love it in these wraps.
- Almonds: Adds a nice nutty flavor.
- Spices: Thai red curry paste, fresh ginger, and parsley deliver a fantastic flavor punch.
- Vegetable oil: Just a tiny bit is used for sautéing.
- Dressing: The combination of mayonnaise, plain yogurt, honey, and lime juice delivers a sweet and tangy dressing that coats all the other ingredients, eliminating the need for a dipping sauce.
Chicken Wrap Recipe Variations
- Gluten free or Low Carb: Use a gluten-free tortilla or you could try eating the filling as a lettuce wrap.
- Vegetarian: Replace the chicken with tofu or chickpeas for a plant-based option.
- Nut Free: Simply omit the almonds.
- Make it a snack or appetizer: Use smaller tortillas for smaller wraps and more servings.
How to Make Chicken Wraps
Here’s a brief summary. (Make sure to scroll below to the printable recipe card for details.)
- Make the dressing: Combine mayo, yogurt, honey, and lime juice in a bowl.
- Saute the almonds and spinach: Saute the almonds in a little vegetable oil until golden. Add in the ginger and curry paste until fragrant, then stir in the spinach until wilted.
- Add in the filling: Add the spinach mixture to the bowl with the dressing, along with the chicken, pineapple, onion, and parsley.
- Form the wraps: Place some of the filling mixture on each tortilla, then roll to enclose, folding in the sides like a burrito.
- Toast the wraps: Wipe out the skillet and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Starting with the seam side down, toast the wraps on both sides until golden, about 30-45 seconds per side.
- Serve: Enjoy warm, either whole or cut in half.
Make Ahead and Storage
The dressing and filling can be prepared up to 1 day in advance, stored separately, in the fridge in airtight containers. Then warm the filling up prior to assembly. Hold off on assembly until right before serving to avoid the tortillas from getting soggy. These wraps are best eaten right away and warm, but will keep in the fridge, tightly wrapped, for up to 2 days and then enjoyed cold.
Thai Chicken Wraps
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked seasoned chicken , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 (10-12") burrito-size sun dried tomato flavored flour tortillas
- Whisk together the mayo, yogurt, honey, and lime juice in a bowl. Fold in the chicken, pineapple, onion, and parsley. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, sauté almonds in the oil until golden, stirring often so they don’t burn, about 1 minute. Add the ginger and curry paste; cooking for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Remove from heat and fold into the chicken mixture.
- Wipe out skillet and return to the burner over low heat; warm tortillas until pliable. Place 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture on each tortilla, then roll to enclose, folding in the sides like a burrito.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray and toast wraps, starting with the seam side down, over medium-high heat until golden on both sides, about 30-45 seconds per side. Cut in half and serve warm.