Small fillo shells are filled with sautéed mushrooms and cheese, then topped with pine nuts and fresh parsley, making these Sherry Mushroom Fillo Bites an easy and lovely holiday party appetizer!
Time to talk about my friends again. I can’t help it! They’re all so great.
Cher’s at bat.
She looks like a pixy doll. Super cute, teeny-tiny, with fashionable glasses and a really fun/ky hair style that few can pull off. She has a natural laugh that immediately puts you at ease and a great sense of humor. She’s also one of my top confidants when it comes to bragging and complaining about my kids. Truly one of the easiest people to be around. Bonus: her offspring are the same gender and ages as mine…and she lives down the road from me. Luck? Fate? Who knows. I don’t question such fortune.
But wait, there’s more! She and her husband are part of a cooking/food group. Which they invited us to one time. How marvelous is that?
I adapted this appetizer which she made at one of the past gatherings. It was yummy. And a nice surprise for me because mushrooms rarely make an appearance at my house. I’ve given up hiding them in dishes – no matter how tiny the pieces, Haley and Trevor find them. And in the end, I wind up with a gazillion mushroom bits on my plate. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. But if I want a pile of mushrooms in front of me, I’d prefer it be part of the original plan.
And guess what? We are regular members of the food group now. Ya. Cher made it happen. Told you she was great.
Watch the video and see how to make them!
Sherry Mushroom Fillo Bites
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounce container cleaned Cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 3.8 ounces mini fillo shells (2, 1.9 ounce packages)
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add in the sherry, lemon juice, and some salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook until the juices have almost evaporated.
- Place fillo shells on a parchment lined baking sheet. Scoop a teaspoon of the mushroom mixture into each fillo shell, followed by a sprinkle of cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven; top with a few pine nuts and some parsley.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!