These Sea Breeze Jello Shots are a fun and tasty twist on a classic sea breeze cocktail and regular vodka jello shots, made with the addition of cranberry jello, grapefruit juice, and simple syrup. They’re so easy to make for your next get together!
Sea Breeze Jello Shots
This Jello shot recipe contains the classic sea breeze ingredients like vodka, grapefruit juice, and cranberry gelatin (in lieu of cranberry juice.) After the mixture is chilled and firm, we top them off with a tiny grapefruit wedge.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements)
- Cranberry Jell-O gelatin
- Boiling water
- Grapefruit juice, chilled
- Vodka, chilled
- Simple syrup
- Garnish: Fresh small grapefruit wedges
How to Make Jello Shots
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements)
Jello shots are simply Jello mixed with alcohol (in this case, vodka.) To make them, first boil water and pour it in a bowl with the cranberry Jell-O gelatin powder. Whisk the Jello powder to make sure it completely dissolves in the water. Whisk in the cold grapefruit juice, cold vodka, and simple syrup, then pour into shot glasses or plastic containers. The shots chill in the refrigerator until firm.
Tips for Success
- Set out a sheet pan: Spreading out jello shot cups on a sheet pan makes them easy to transfer to the fridge once they’re filled.
- Use something with a spout for pouring: A large spouted measuring cup or mixing bowl that has a spout helps prevent spills when you’re pouring the liquid jello into the cups.
- Chill all the liquids: Make space in your fridge to chill the grapefruit juice and vodka. This ensures the jello sets properly.
- Wait to garnish: Chill the shots until firm and then garnish right before serving.
Jello Shot Cups
While you can make jello shots in shot glasses, we much prefer these condiment cups which are perfect for a crowd. You get a lot of them for super cheap, they have lids, and they’re disposable, so virtually no clean up. For this recipe, you’ll need the 2 ounce size.
How to Serve Jello Shots
Right before serving, we garnish these Sea Breeze Jello Shots with a tiny fresh grapefruit wedge, but it’s optional. When you’re ready to enjoy them, run a dull knife around the inside edge of the container to loosen the jello and remove it. We also recommend giving your guests tasting spoons for those who don’t want to swallow them all at once.
Make Ahead and Storing
- How long do jello shots take to set? Our recipe calls for 2 ounce shots and will take about 4 hours to firm up. If you make them bigger, they will take longer.
- How long do jello shots last? In the refrigerator, they will stay good for 3-5 days. Once removed from the fridge, they don’t last long, especially in a warmer atmosphere. Plan to consume the shots within 30–45 minutes.
- Can you freeze jello shots? You can freeze shots. They will get colder and firmer than shots chilled in the fridge, of course, but it’s not our preferred method since they tend to get grainy.
More Jello Shot Recipes:
- Dirty Shirley Jello Shots
- Sex on the Beach Jello Shots
- Mai Tai Jello Shots
- Blue Hawaiian Jello Shots
- Pina Colada Jello Shots
Sea Breeze Jello Shots
- 12 (2 ounce) jello shot cups with lids
- Tasting spoons, optional
- 3 ounce box cranberry Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup vodka , chilled
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice , chilled
- 3 tablespoons simple syrup
- 2 thin round grapefruit slices , quartered and quartered again, so you tiny wedges, for garnish
- Place the plastic jello shot cups on a sheet pan without the lids on. Set aside.
- Add the powdered JELL-O to a mixing bowl. Pour in boiling water and whisk until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add in the cold vodka, cold grapefruit juice, and simple syrup. Whisk to combine.
- Carefully pour the gelatin mixture into each plastic cup, filling until almost full.
- Transfer sheet pan of jello shots into the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours or until set. Put lids on cups and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Right before serving, top with a tiny grapefruit wedge.
- Serve with tasting spoons and enjoy!