These Sex on the Beach Jello Shots are a fun and tasty twist on a classic sex on the beach drink and regular vodka jello shots, made with the addition of orange jello, cranberry juice, and peach schnapps. They’re so easy to make for your next party!
Sex on the Beach Drink Jello Shots
Jello shots are easy to make, portable, taste great, and versatile, using any type of jello flavor and liquor. They’re always a hit at get-togethers when you hand them out. One of our favorites are these Sex on the Beach Jello Shots, where we converted our favorite sex on the beach drink cocktail into a super delicious boozy jello shot.
This Jello shot recipe contains the classic sex on the beach ingredients like vodka, peach schnapps, cranberry juice and orange gelatin (in lieu of orange juice.) After the mixture is chilled and firm, we top them off with fresh whipped cream, a small orange wedge, and a maraschino cherry for a festive treat!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Sex on the Beach Jello Shot recipe:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements)
- Boiling water
- Orange Jell-O gelatin
- Plain vodka (chilled)
- Peach schnapps (chilled)
- Cranberry juice (chilled) – see note below
- Garnish: Fresh whipped cream, fresh small orange wedges, maraschino cherries
How to Make Jello Shots
Jello shots are simply Jello mixed with alcohol (in this case, vodka, peach schnapps, and also cranberry juice.) To make them, first boil water and pour it in a bowl with the orange Jell-O gelatin powder. Whisk the Jello powder to make sure it completely dissolves in the water. Whisk in the cold vodka, cold peach schnapps, and cold cranberry juice, then pour into plastic containers. The shots chill in the refrigerator until firm. (To make this jello shot recipe, scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements)
Tips for Success
- Use the right cranberry juice. You want 100% cranberry juice that has a blend of other sweet fruit juices (like Ocean Spray.) If you use pure unsweetened cranberry juice cocktail, it will be too tart or bitter.
- Set out a sheet pan: Spreading out jello shot cups on a sheet pan makes them easy to transfer to the fridge once they’re filled.
- Use something with a spout for pouring: A large spouted measuring cup or mixing bowl that has a spout helps prevent spills when you’re pouring the liquid jello into the cups.
- Chill all the liquids: Make space in your fridge to chill the cranberry juice, vodka, and peach schnapps. This ensures the jello sets properly.
- Wait to garnish: Chill the shots until firm and then garnish right before serving.
Jello Shot Cups
We love making jello shots in these Jello shot cups with lids, which are basically condiment cups. You get a lot of them for super cheap and they’re disposable, so virtually no clean up. For this recipe, you’ll need the 2 ounce size.
How to Serve Jello Shots
We garnish our sex on the beach jello shots, but wait until right before serving so the whipped cream doesn’t melt and the fruit stays fresh. When you’re ready to enjoy them, run a dull knife around the inside edge of the container to loosen the jello and remove it. We also recommend giving your guests tasting spoons for those who don’t want to swallow them all at once.
Make Ahead and Storing
- How long do jello shots take to set? Our recipe calls for 2 ounce shots and will take at least 4 hours to firm up. If you make them bigger, they will take longer. We typically place ours in the fridge overnight to set.
- How long do jello shots last? In the refrigerator, they will stay good for 3-5 days. Once removed from the fridge, they don’t last long, especially in a warmer atmosphere. Plan to consume the shots within 30–45 minutes.
- Can you freeze jello shots? You can freeze shots. They will get colder and firmer than shots chilled in the fridge, of course, but it’s not our preferred method since they tend to get grainy.
More Jello Shot Recipes:
Sex on the Beach Jello Shots
- 12 (2 ounce) jello shot cups with lids
- Tasting spoons, optional
- 3 ounce box orange Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup plain vodka , chilled
- 1/2 cup peach schnapps , chilled
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice , chilled (see note)
- piped whipped cream , for garnish (optional)
- 12 maraschino cherries , stems removed, drained and patted dry, for garnish (optional)
- 3 thin round orange Cutie slices , quartered, for garnish (optional)
- Place the plastic jello shot cups on a sheet pan without the lids on. Set aside.
- Add the powdered JELL-O to a mixing bowl. Pour in boiling water and whisk until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add in the cold vodka, cold peach schnapps, and cold cranberry juice. Whisk to combine.
- Carefully pour the gelatin mixture into each plastic cup, filling until almost full.
- Transfer sheet pan of jello shots into the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours or until set. Put lids on cups and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Right before serving, pipe a little fresh whipped cream on top, followed by a maraschino cherry, and tiny orange wedge.
- Serve with tasting spoons and enjoy!